Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
This is a good explanation. But does this mean I should cancel my FSDb queue so that it will upgrade from the mfr build in the meantime and at least get parking w/ vision? Or will I get it anyway, even though I'm in queue for FSDb?
Stay in the queue, you will get mainline builds automatically. However, once you get a mainline build you may choose to not install additional updates, since FSDb releases tend to be based on older mainline builds.

I believe TeslaFi looks at the 10th VIN position where "P" indicates a 2023 model year. Looking through this Model Y 2023 VIN thread, there's multiple reports of 2023/"P" VIN vehicles delivered with Ultrasonic Sensors. So the previous assumption of 2023 Y implying USS-less was wrong.

That makes more sense with the numbers on TeslaFi and lack of reports of FSD Beta 11.3.x on these vehicles. So to be clear, it looks like so far only vehicles with USS are getting 11.x. Seems like Autopilot / Vehicle Software team has a lot to merge to single stack right now:
  • HW3 with USS (done)
  • 2023.x production software
  • HW3 USS-less
  • MCU1 (currently 2022.8.10.10)
  • HW4 (new S/X)
I’m going to stop obsessively checking the app because unless I hear otherwise, I don’t think the non-uss cars are getting updated at this point. Two weeks I’m sure 😐

• Funny
Reactions: cowleggies
I attribute it to legal considerations. FSD cars surely get into more accidents when traveling in the right lane. That's the merge lane, and by staying out of it, FSD has fewer dangerous situations to deal with. It's the wrong thing to do when there are only two lanes of traffic, but I think the car will stay right if you tell it to go there and there are no cars to go around. Let me know if anyone has experienced otherwise.
except some/many states have laws prohibiting use of the left lane except to pass

FYI, Tesla may have increased the software check timeout, or possibly disabled manual software checks altogether for the time being.

Last checked 29 hours ago, but even after multiple tries it's still returning the check from yesterday.

View attachment 921927
This has happened to me a few times. I think a soft reset fixed it. I can't remember...
But it definitely happens

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
A few times today, I had the car ready to make a turn (either left or right), then pause or almost stop mod turn for no reason. I also had the car pull infront of of a car and stop. First off, it should have never tried to pull in-front of said car, second, it shouldn’t have stopped. City streets behaviors is way worse than 11.3.2.

Highway does seem better, I’ve been using “assertive” and just manually moving out of the passing lane with the blinker stalk.

Maybe the rain was the issue?

Just completed another drive, about 40km combined, much of it a rural highway, which means this is mostly testing the old stack.

The car definitely stops smoother from fast speed to zero. I used to think FSD braked late because that's the hardware limitation, but I guess I was wrong. I always felt it stopped more aggressively than my manual drive from 90km to zero at the red light. Now, it's not obvious anymore.

There is a regression when it tries to enter a new left lane for a left turn. It used to signal briefly first, start move, turns off the signal, moves further, then turns signal on again before making the left turn. Now, it turns the signal then enters into the lane really lazily. When the turn lane is short, the rear right wheel barely makes it into the lane.

Assertive + less lane changes setting definitely works for me. This rural highway is a 4 lane road, and it stayed on the right lane all the way unless there was a slow car in front. Then it switched the lane. Just like the highway experience, this build does not go back to the right lane.

Once, I was on the right lane and slower car was right in front of me. On the left lane, another car was right next to me. It did not signal immediately. It waited until the faster car was further away, then proceeded with the lane change. Nice.

I tried my best to create a situation where I am behind a slower car on the left line while the right lane is available to see if I can force an overtake using the right lane, but each time, other drivers were too nice and moved over. Oh well. 😅

About to burn my daily check 🤞
I don’t know if it actually matters since it sounds like most people are getting 2022.45.12 pushed to them, but there hasn’t been any uptick in pending downloads on teslafi since last night so you might want to wait and see if there’s another wave later tonight before checking

This has happened to me a few times. I think a soft reset fixed it. I can't remember...
But it definitely happens
After reading your comment I tried the two-button reboot. No change. It still tells me I'm up-to-date, and lists a last checked time of yesterday morning. Enough others are saying this that I suspect it is something in their system, not my car.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
For me FSDb Highway driving is 5 steps forward, 1 step back compared to NoA. Overall, the lane changes are more confident and smoother. Acceleration and braking smoother. Lane selection is better. It takes some interchanges perfectly, better than NoA ever did. Others, it totally boffs them up. The worst behavioral change though is in tunnels. On NoA, it never cared that it lost GPS signal in tunnels, and would ever alert me. Now on FSDb Full Stack Highyway, it throws a caution telling me FSD performance will be degraded due to the bad GPS signal and, even worse, when it comes out of the tunnel, the GPS thinks the car is now magically on city streets, and the car begins slowig to 15MPH on a highway where the limit is 50. If I let it, it would brake all the way down to 15. It's really bad. Never happened on NoA.

I just had the worst left turn ever on 11.3.3, the car almost came to a complete stop in the middle of the turn, and then seemed confused as to what lane it should enter. And shifted itself over to the rightmost lane when it was originally headed toward the inner one.

View attachment 921975

I'm done, I'll try again with V12.
I’ve had it do similar things with the current/old version, too.

I don’t know if it actually matters since it sounds like most people are getting 2022.45.12 pushed to them, but there hasn’t been any uptick in pending downloads on teslafi since last night so you might want to wait and see if there’s another wave later tonight before checking
I had it pushed to me, FWIW.