Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My purchase agreement says "yoke" so that is what I am expecting, unless the whole thing gets nixed by the NHTSA. At this point, there is no round wheel option and the wheel we have seen is kinda ugly, so thinking everyone gets a yoke.

I agree that the cars will have a yoke. Tesla's website still advertises that the car will have a yoke. And it still advertises that the car has three displays, which is misleading if the dash display is covered by a steering wheel. (This, by the way, is a genuine safety hazard for the bored bureaucrats at the NHTSA to muse about. I rented a BMW last weekend and couldn't see how fast I was going because the steering wheel blocked the dash display.) It just doesn't make sense for Tesla to keep marketing a yoke if it plans to deliver cars with a steering wheel. It's risking cancellations and lawsuits.

If what the bureaucrats want is a semicircle top, it seems like there should be a way to modify the yoke to add a removable semicircle top.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
I agree that the cars will have a yoke. Tesla's website still advertises that the car will have a yoke. And it still advertises that the car has three displays, which is misleading if the dash display is covered by a steering wheel. (This, by the way, is a genuine safety hazard for the bored bureaucrats at the NHTSA to muse about. I rented a BMW last weekend and couldn't see how fast I was going because the steering wheel blocked the dash display.) It just doesn't make sense for Tesla to keep marketing a yoke if it plans to deliver cars with a steering wheel. It's risking cancellations and lawsuits.

If what the bureaucrats want for some reason is a semicircle top, it seems like there should be a way to modify the yoke to add a removable semicircle top.
Wouldn't you have to have the wheel at a really low rake in order for it to block the display behind it? (Not that I wouldn't prefer the yoke).

Wouldn't you have to have the wheel at a really low rake in order for it to block the display behind it? (Not that I wouldn't prefer the yoke).
The problem is that my head is well above the steering wheel and dash panel, so I'm looking down into the steering wheel, which blocked the panel. If your head were at steering wheel level you could see the panel through the upper gap, but that's not realistic for a reasonably tall driver.

Not necessarily. I had a similar issue with the Model X. I could see the speed, but the AP hands warnings were really easy to miss because the top was occluded. I got into AP ban multiple times in a single trip.

I never have similar issues with the screen in the Y.

Not necessarily. I had a similar issue with the Model X. I could see the speed, but the AP hands warnings were really easy to miss because the top was occluded. I got into AP ban multiple times in a single trip.

I never have similar issues with the screen in the Y.
Gentleman, I like your discussion regarding driver visibility but you’re getting away from the “ordering, production, delivery” mantra, so be careful. ;)

Gentleman, I like your discussion regarding driver visibility but you’re getting away from the “ordering, production, delivery” mantra, so be careful. ;)
Is that an actual problem in a thread who's on topic posts have been... no news for a month or two? lol

More seriously, I'm not even ordering an S, I'm just super eager to see how good this refresh actually is. I mean, there's a decent chance it is basically the only new Tesla vehicle launching this year.

Reactions: foos and Laddcruzer
Incredible video actually. Surprised someone doesn’t shoot down the drone If they want to keep things under wrap like they seemingly want to do. The plant looks a bit unorganized. I saw a number of S’s but what are they? And what cars get loaded into the enclosed semi’s and what one’s go on the open trailers. At least there’s activity.

Incredible video actually. Surprised someone doesn’t shoot down the drone If they want to keep things under wrap like they seemingly want to do. The plant looks a bit unorganized. I saw a number of S’s but what are they? And what cars get loaded into the enclosed semi’s and what one’s go on the open trailers. At least there’s activity.

I loved it too. I was amazed that you can get cars with trunks and frunks that have different colors from the rest of the car! That was not an option in the configurator when I bought my car. Red and black would be pretty sweet. Is this something you have to request by calling Tesla?

I don't think Tesla is trying to keep anything under wraps. I think they have been too busy working on the cars to give us an update. It's like expecting a surgeon to step out of an ongoing surgery to go talk to the family in the waiting room. Everyone needs to be patient. I'm sure Elon is there in person.

• Informative
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I loved it too. I was amazed that you can get cars with trunks and frunks that have different colors from the rest of the car! That was not an option in the configurator when I bought my car. Red and black would be pretty sweet. Is this something you have to request by calling Tesla?

I don't think Tesla is trying to keep anything under wraps. I think they have been too busy working on the cars to give us an update. It's like expecting a surgeon to step out of an ongoing surgery to go talk to the family in the waiting room. Everyone needs to be patient. I'm sure Elon is there in person.
I don't see any difference in color in trucks and frunks, unless you mean the white protective wrap around the front and rear bumper of the cars, those are removable.

Reactions: CO_MY
So when is the model S will start to get delivered? They said March, but no way in hell that's going to happen, when test cars just started appearing, no?

And yoke wheel? No way it'll make it IMO. I have no idea how that even passed the lawyers. It'd be super dangerous. I bet it wasn't banned because the government didn't think anybody would be crazy enough to even think about that. Now that they know Elon was, they're going to promptly ban it, I guess. And rightly so. That wheel as nice as it looks, it'd be an automatic deal-breaker for me. I was ready to buy an S at $68K, but can't justify one at 80 grand. Will buy a nice travel ICE car now, and maybe next cycle. And hopefully Tesla puts cooled seats at least for the front ones. It's crazy that an $80K car doesn't even have that luxury.

So when is the model S will start to get delivered? They said March, but no way in hell that's going to happen, when test cars just started appearing, no?

And yoke wheel? No way it'll make it IMO. I have no idea how that even passed the lawyers. It'd be super dangerous. I bet it wasn't banned because the government didn't think anybody would be crazy enough to even think about that. Now that they know Elon was, they're going to promptly ban it, I guess. And rightly so. That wheel as nice as it looks, it'd be an automatic deal-breaker for me. I was ready to buy an S at $68K, but can't justify one at 80 grand. Will buy a nice travel ICE car now, and maybe next cycle. And hopefully Tesla puts cooled seats at least for the front ones. It's crazy that an $80K car doesn't even have that luxury.

Uhm the front seats are ventilated lol.