Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems this last update a few days ago was sort of a bust . . . . all our screen shows is that we can now see tire pressure given in different forms (didn't bother to see what it was .... psi versus 'bars' ? .... ok whatever). Nine pages for that?
o_O

A lot happening in the background. Slight but significant AP2 and 2.5 improvements, but more importantly deployment of additional EAP and FSD feature testing in "shadow mode" wherein the cars continue to behave as they do before the update, but where the AP2 computers compare driver behavior to what they would have done given their current level, thereby "learning" to be better drivers. It's a long process and requires iterative uploads of the newer software versions to a certain proportion of the active fleet in order to test upcoming features and build better functionality.

A lot happening in the background. Slight but significant AP2 and 2.5 improvements, but more importantly deployment of additional EAP and FSD feature testing in "shadow mode" wherein the cars continue to behave as they do before the update, but where the AP2 computers compare driver behavior to what they would have done given their current level, thereby "learning" . . . . . . snip . . . .
screenshot[1].png

all it says on the update screen - is stuff about tires.
Background? "shadow mode" ? Really? Even after around ⅔ of a year when we 1st heard Musk say, in just a few more weeks it'll be as "smooth as silk? Some still buy into the notion of shadow mode? Great. Our AP2 autopilot is as unreliable as the day it activated (some 10 months ago) - & no mater HOW hard we try & think it's better .... it aint. When our lease is up, we're jumping back to AP1 which to this day is 200% more reliable.
Nine pages. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
There seem to be deep rooted misconceptions of the workings of shadow mode.
Please look at this post for a good explanation; https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2559190/

And since 2018.6.1 started rolling out before electrek posted about the update in beta, I highly doubt 2018.6.1 is the one referred to in Electreks post.

Tesla themselves are somewhat committed to a monthly release schedule, so I wouldn't expect the beta to roll out before next month and the resulting feature release another months after.

A lot happening in the background. Slight but significant AP2 and 2.5 improvements, but more importantly deployment of additional EAP and FSD feature testing in "shadow mode" wherein the cars continue to behave as they do before the update, but where the AP2 computers compare driver behavior to what they would have done given their current level, thereby "learning" to be better drivers. It's a long process and requires iterative uploads of the newer software versions to a certain proportion of the active fleet in order to test upcoming features and build better functionality.

New features are not tested in "shadow mode", Tesla provides completely different builds to beta testers aka "early adopters". Learning for AP doesn't happen on your car training happens on tesla's servers

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Braking is much smoother. Actually seems to be looking further ahead. Before the car would accelerate into stopped traffic before braking. Now it maintains speed and slowly comes to a stop. Much much nice experience.
I noticed this too!
Before this, i thought it would just crash to the stopped car ahead. Just now I was driving home and it saw the stopped car (traffic light) around 7 car lengths away and started slowing down less abruptly
Edit: just noticed I’m the 4th or 5th person on this thread with the same observation.

I noticed this too!
Before this, i thought it would just crash to the stopped car ahead. Just now I was driving home and it saw the stopped car (traffic light) around 7 car lengths away and started slowing down less abruptly
Edit: just noticed I’m the 4th or 5th person on this thread with the same observation.
I hope this doesn't come at the cost of even more phantom braking when there's nothing ahead...

Anyone had a problem with the screens crashing on 6.1?

We updated Friday evening.

Sunday I had left the car outside. Around 8pm I decided to pull it into the garage. Tried to summon as always, but summon wasn't working as expected. Headlights would never come on after holding the keyfob top.

So, I got in. smaller screen said 'powering up. press brake when this goes away'. Large screen was blank. After a few minutes it didn't do anything, so I hit the brakes and it went ahead and let me pull the car into the garage.

This morning, I get a call from my wife.. She had pulled out of the garage and got out for some reason.. Got back in.. same thing.. small screen on. Big screen off. Said 'powering up' Wipers were going every 3 seconds or so. (no rain, but we have them set to the autowipe).

She had to reboot the car by holding in both scroll wheels.

Anyone else seen this on 6.1? We hadn't had this problem before this version.

Sunday I had left the car outside. Around 8pm I decided to pull it into the garage. Tried to summon as always, but summon wasn't working as expected. Headlights would never come on after holding the keyfob top.

So, I got in. smaller screen said 'powering up. press brake when this goes away'. Large screen was blank. After a few minutes it didn't do anything, so I hit the brakes and it went ahead and let me pull the car into the garage.

This morning, I get a call from my wife.. She had pulled out of the garage and got out for some reason.. Got back in.. same thing.. small screen on. Big screen off. Said 'powering up' Wipers were going every 3 seconds or so. (no rain, but we have them set to the autowipe).

Yes, my screen rebooted probably 4 different times since the update. That never was a problem before. Even happened last night when I was driving to the airport. Super annoying

Yep,
Exact same thing yesterday morning while away from our primary home.
It was not plugged into charger.
Haven’t gone out this morning yet to see if it did it again overnight.

I'm pretty sure it's actually happening. AP1 parity. 2018.5 is the release. We just can't get it.

User AxelWi of the German TFF forum is one of the lucky beta testers and wrote the following in a thread on TFF:

AxelWi said:
Habe die 2018.5 via earlyaccess zum Test erhalten. Darf nix dazu sagen/schreiben.

Daher nur kurze Info, dass sie besser ist als alles was ich davor gefahren bin.

What roughly translates to:
Got the 2018.5 through earlyaccess for testing. Not allowed to say/write anything about it. Just this, it's better than anything I drove before.