Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50.3 only went to AP2. This is going to all cars. Around 1/4 of the AP2 fleet is still 50.3. We'll be held back as the placebo group until a new flavor is out. I just want this to test my side cameras because you'll know if they don't work once this update installs.

The new flavor should be soon; we are almost to the start of week 10 and haven’t seen 2018.8.

Reactions: croman
Second day of driving with 18.6.1 for 60km x 2 daily commute. The AP is definitely showing reduced ping pong in my 2.5 car. Maybe it is specific to certain routes from where Tesla have more data??? The first time ever the car stays planted in between both the lane lines. I don't know but perhaps they started using some of those un-used side cameras now? It definitely seems a lot more stable..and lane changes are more stable too. I did notice the new speed limit sign says MAX and grows a bit when your speed goes above the limit.

Yeah I wasn't super impressed on day 1 of using 2018.6.1, but now that I've got 200 miles and counting on it, without a doubt for me in California it's the best AP release yet for HW2.0. It's choosing the correct lane line to trust when one disappears, and following sharper curves correctly, and decelerating more smoothly. It seems to be willing to turn the steering wheel sharper at lower speeds too, it's able to navigate through a school zone at 25mph that requires turning the steering wheel nearly 90 degrees.

Not sure if they are using more cameras or if they're improving mapping (or the use of the mapping data), but there's definitely an improvement. Basically zero change to car / lane recognition though, I suspect the neural net hasn't changed yet.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: EinSV and croman
An odd series of glitchy issues today on 18.6.1. First sign was audio stuck in a echo of last segment of music in slacker. Then I put the car in park while briefly unloading donations at goodwill. Got back in car and was greeted by a message indicating car was starting up & to press the brake when the message clears. Stuck there a few minutes. Finally cleared & was finally able to shift into drive. Next thing I noticed was silence. Turn signals were silent. I decided to park & try ebrake poweroff. It was grayed & unavailable as was air suspension which should have switched to very high automatically based on my location but did not. Rebooted the 17”screen. Everything came back including the music. Weird.

I got it on Tuesday. The auto wiper has been improved. I do experience one scary incident with AP2. I was following a car and it turns to the turning area and right lane has a car just passed by and stay on it's own lane. As it's open, so I expect it to speed up but instead it slammed on the brake from 60 down to 30. The car behind me managed to pass me and I tap on the brake to dis-engage, immediately step on gas to continue.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
An odd series of glitchy issues today on 18.6.1. First sign was audio stuck in a echo of last segment of music in slacker. Then I put the car in park while briefly unloading donations at goodwill. Got back in car and was greeted by a message indicating car was starting up & to press the brake when the message clears. Stuck there a few minutes. Finally cleared & was finally able to shift into drive. Next thing I noticed was silence. Turn signals were silent. I decided to park & try ebrake poweroff. It was grayed & unavailable as was air suspension which should have switched to very high automatically based on my location but did not. Rebooted the 17”screen. Everything came back including the music. Weird.
I had the exact same problems on a previous FW version. SC said they could not replicate. They reset the unit. Hasn't happened since, but then again I was only having the car for 3 days and it had to go back to the SC for a different issue.

I think I just caught my car downloading new software (I’m still on 50.3)

C2463286-9FF1-48C2-B5F9-3D2C7C1119C4.png

Got it 30 minutes after the 2018.7 notification... was thinking, nah, can't be... and it was 6.1 after all :D

The cars that 2018.7 is on (see TeslaFI) had 2018.5 before, so, the theory that the odd weeks are beta software may be correct.

With the delayed release of 6.1 to some cars, wonder if it was under more testing internally or checking via external groups? Who knows.

Now we're up to more then 50.3 (added more new cars in the two months, of course). Two months to the day for me between the two releases. It did also take longer to install as has been reported (45 minutes or so, not the usual 30).

upload_2018-3-2_7-24-33.png

Now a solid two months behind on my car with multiple x multiple updates out there and now an even newer one....2018.7 a3159ea ...showing up. :-( (possibly just for the few beta testers but still out there now)

Had a long email thread back and forth with Tesla/Freemont CA. My favorite response was "There is no software available for your particular configuration" my response back "My S100D has every option available, every upgrade available, 21" wheels, EAP + Pre-Paid FSD---EVERYTHING that you could order except rear facing seats" "What possibly isn't available for my (particular configuration)" No response back to that.....crickets chirping...

• Love
Reactions: croman and Bilen
Now a solid two months behind on my car with multiple x multiple updates out there and now an even newer one....2018.7 a3159ea ...showing up. :-( (possibly just for the few beta testers but still out there now)

2 months between big/wide software releases has been normal for quite some time now. You’re not “behind” anything.

2018.7 was never meant for you.

Some of them you don't want, if you read the threads for each one.... some of them are beta, as we've been discussing/assuming/getting more data about. Some of them are for only certain cars (2017.42.1 was to fix bricked AP2.5 cars, ask me how I know... :D), etc.

This is sorta like the touching the parts of the elephant and deciding what it is, but it's looking like every eight weeks or so, there is a general release. Like Hohoho and perhaps 6.1. Maybe. It's all reverse engineering on our part unless someone internal wants to spill some beans....

There also was a guess that we are getting a foundation (6.1?) for the next big AP software release. But, again, hard to tell with the little info we have.