Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on SR+. I have been wondering how the UI chooses if to display that button or not? If there is anything I can do to make it appear?View attachment 465858View attachment 465857 I have attached pictures of the actual front fog light and the UI from the lights section.

Mine shows button for both front and rear fog light, however they are greyed out. Don't know how to turn them on or if I can

I checked by looking at the encoding of the TeslaCam videos, they're still h264 and based on what I've read this means I have 2.5 =/

According to my invoice the car was built on 24/7/2019

No, all files are now using h264. Best way to be sure is to remove the 3 plazas tic screws under the glove box. Then pry the panel open, you can see there the HW type.

Here is mine:

But I was told that all Australian model 3 were using HW3.0

I have not been able to figure out the charging outside of my house and Tesla superchargers yet. I did purchase a Type 2 to Type 2 cable in case I happen to a charger that does not have a cable, but am wondering if purchasing a Type 1 to Type 2 would be useful. Any idea how many of the charger locations in NSW and QLD are Type 1 and have no Type 2 options?
Looking at PlugShare there are a mix of Tesla, Type 2 and J1772 AC chargers in your vicinity.
I have both a Type 2 to Type 2 and J1772 to Type 2 cables and probably use the later one more often.
I also recognise that this will not be my first EV so anything I buy is not likely to be wasted.
Download PlugShare and visit the locations near you to determine what they are and if the supporting business can be of use for you. I have changed where I shop to support the businesses that have installed charging even though I only use the charging occasionally.

I'm same situation - took delivery 26th Sep. She did warn me they're way behind on that paperwork just so many cars, plus because the original transaction was 2+ years ago it takes in my case VISA a long time to process it. So she warned me it may be 3-4 weeks. (remember it's illegal to send people money by unmatched chargeback on a credit card, so the credit card company has to match it to original record from years ago so it doesn't surprise me it takes a while).
Get ready for a long wait. My refund took 4 months. With multiple emails stating it would be 3-4 weeks, then emails stating it would be 5 business days. The last 5 business days email was 4 weeks before the refund. Tesla time :)

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I have not been able to figure out the charging outside of my house and Tesla superchargers yet. I did purchase a Type 2 to Type 2 cable in case I happen to a charger that does not have a cable, but am wondering if purchasing a Type 1 to Type 2 would be useful. Any idea how many of the charger locations in NSW and QLD are Type 1 and have no Type 2 options?
Chermside and Carindale shopping centres for a start. There are a few other examples - use Plugshare on a computer and filter for J1772.

Looking at PlugShare there are a mix of Tesla, Type 2 and J1772 AC chargers in your vicinity.
I have both a Type 2 to Type 2 and J1772 to Type 2 cables and probably use the later one more often.
I also recognise that this will not be my first EV so anything I buy is not likely to be wasted.
Download PlugShare and visit the locations near you to determine what they are and if the supporting business can be of use for you. I have changed where I shop to support the businesses that have installed charging even though I only use the charging occasionally.
Looking at Gold Coast area on PlugShare, if I have Supercharger, CCS and Type 2 selected there are 6 locations from Tweed to Helensvale. Adding J-1772 almost doubles those to 11, however adding Tesla option there and removing J-1772 brings the number up to 18 but it looks like all J-1772 also have "Tesla" plug. Is this "Tesla" plug something that Model 3 can use, does it need an adapter or cable?

Get ready for a long wait. My refund took 4 months. With multiple emails stating it would be 3-4 weeks, then emails stating it would be 5 business days. The last 5 business days email was 4 weeks before the refund. Tesla time :)

After dealing with Amex and having the refund take about 24 hours, I would suggest others contact their credit card company. When Tesla receives a chargeback, they are charged a fee. Hopefully if they get enough of these they will pay attention.

Looking at Gold Coast area on PlugShare, if I have Supercharger, CCS and Type 2 selected there are 6 locations from Tweed to Helensvale. Adding J-1772 almost doubles those to 11, however adding Tesla option there and removing J-1772 brings the number up to 18 but it looks like all J-1772 also have "Tesla" plug. Is this "Tesla" plug something that Model 3 can use, does it need an adapter or cable?
Yes. The Tesla plugs I have encountered are OK for the M3 so far. The exception being at superchargers where the old style Tesla connector is the right shape, but too big to fit the M3 socket. I do have a J1772 adaptor just in case the Tesla stations are full or ICEd

Thank you, yeah. I saw that one and was considering it, but more $, i just thought I’d get something small for just in case moments.
Most of the charge cables "hang" from the charge port anyway. The Mennekes connector seems quite robust, so aside from physical wrenching I dont see that the extra length would add any significant strain on the system. I've used the short solid 1-2 adapter a few times now and it works well.

Reactions: jontyh
Yiiippppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Now it's getting real!
I am no longer #VINless.
Just checked the "product-finalize" version of my manage page... AND I HAVE A HIDDEN VIN.

White SR+
No reservation
Ordered 30-Aug
VIN 4987XX - Which looks like the Warrnambool.

Oh, the excitement at such a small change... :D

Got a delivery appointment for 31st October.
Now the wait gets even harder.

All of the Chargepoint chargers will by type 1 or ChaDeMo, they dont do type 2 in Australia.

• Disagree
Reactions: WoodWombat
And aren't they mostly type 2?

I thought chademo was only seen in QLD
It’s way more complicated than that. :eek:
ChargePoint is a USA based company and has been in Australia since before 2014 when the first Teslas were delivered here. Up until that point only Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi iMievs and early BMW i3’s were available and were all fitted with type 1 (J1772) type charge ports. The Model S was the first production car in Australia with Type 2 charge port and was introduced in late 2014. Also the i3 and gen 2 Nissan Leaf are now changed to Type 2.
Without Government legislation, it has been up to the industry to decide what standard to adopt and in about 2016 the MTA decided to adopt the Type 2 / CCS2 standard plus CHAdeMO and explains why we are in such a mess.
Last time I checked ChargePoint were still offering only J1772 (Type1) AC chargers and many early shopping centre AC chargers were ChargePoint, so J1772 plugs. E.g. Westfield Bondi Junction near me is still J1772.
IIRC when the QLD electric highway was announced it pre dated the MTA ‘ruling’ so some early DC fast chargers were equipped with two cables, one CHAdeMO and one CCS1 which used the J1772 pattern plug plus 2 large DC pins at the bottom. I believe that these have now been changed to CCS2 which is the Type 2 plug pattern with two large DC charge pins at the bottom of the plug.
And I haven’t even covered German PHEV’s which initially came with J1772!
Unless you have been following the process for a while now it’s easy to get confused. I pity the poor second hand i3 shopper who buys an i3 with optional DC charging and finds out later it’s CCS1 and there are effectively no longer any CCS1 DC chargers in Australia.

Fellow TM3 drivers need to learn some manners

7B78A1B1-F2BB-4A07-BAA6-F8F3A39A30BA.jpeg