Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you ordered your car before the end of today, you will have account level unlimited free supercharging; even if you didn't previously. All your future S and X will also get it.

As a result, you will also be able to refer others and give them the gift of unlimited free supercharging as well (on S and X) but that will only apply to the car they buy and not their account, and expires if they sell their car.

Your cars will retain free supercharging when you sell it. Effectively making you more valuable being an early adopter, as well as the cars you own.

Joe, did you purchase after January 15th? Were you a previous Tesla owner, or is this your first one? I'm curious if maybe I'm interpreting wrong?
First time tesla owner and I did not have free supercharging before. I can remember last time I checked my charging information I had 200KW free charging left. But right now it shows I have unlimited free supercharging. Below is what I have on my tesla page.

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Also, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Any Supercharging payments made have been automatically refunded. Read our Supercharging terms."

Reactions: Cowby and Doctt
It seems to have reset the referral count on the current round. Hopefully those ones aren't wasted.

looks like the new program overlaps with the old one

quote from the info on MyTesla page (emphasis mine):
Limits

Related order must be placed between May 19, 2017 and December 31, 2017. Owners with one or more referrals in the previous phase between March 16, 2017 and May 19, 2017 will be eligible for both updated and previous phase awards until June 15, 2017. Referral order vehicles must be actually delivered to qualify for awards. Pre-owned vehicles are not eligible. Model 3 orders are not eligible. Limit of 5 referrals per owner. Referral code must be applied at the time of order and cannot be added after the order has been placed. Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership...

p.s. one other small difference I notice (U.S. members may ignore the following...)
in previous referral programs, Canadian buyers of Model S or X using someone's referral code (code from anywhere in the world) would receive C$1200 credit off the purchase, instead of $1000 off. Other geographic areas had similar locally-adjusted referral amount.

With this new referral program, the amount Canadian buyers will received has been increased to C$1400,
presumably to adjust for the poor exchange rate.

any prospective Canadian buyers, please feel free to use my code
My Tesla Referral Code

Last edited:
Looks like as of today, along with changes made to the referral program, everyone who currently has an S or X has been grandfathered in to free unlimited supercharging for their current and future S and Xs.

Transferability to a second owner, however, does not appear to be universal. Check to see if your My Tesla page says:
  • "...free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner..."
  • "...free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner..."
I wonder if the latter applies only to those who ordered before the original unlimited supercharging cutoff date.
"You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase." "free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner"
First let's assume they will not change the rule in the future. Does that mean If I bought a Tesla X 200D in 2030 and I will still get free supercharging?

"You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase." "free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner"
First let's assume they will not change the rule in the future. Does that mean If I bought a Tesla X 200D in 2030 and I will still get free supercharging?

That's how I read it.

Though what if the S and X were to be discontinued? Or changed to X2 or renamed entirely.

Or next SUV iteration no longer has Falcon Wing doors and not really an X anymore?

So many questions... LOL

Acura Integra -> Acura RSX -> Acura ILX --> ???

First, I applaud Tesla for a positive gesture. Certainly a benefit for the customers.

Second, the motivation may be related to some older owners feeling reluctant to upgrade for fear of losing the feature. The referrals also suggest a marketing motivation. Leaving Model 3 out suggesti desire to boost the desireability of the high-end models...

One more demand lever for Q2! :)

First, I applaud Tesla for a positive gesture. Certainly a benefit for the customers.

Second, the motivation may be related to some older owners feeling reluctant to upgrade for fear of losing the feature. The referrals also suggest a marketing motivation. Leaving Model 3 out suggesti desire to boost the desireability of the high-end models...

One more demand lever for Q2! :)

Yes. You scan scrap your I-Pace plans now that the Model X P200DL comes with free super charging. :D

Normally I would get at least one referral from my channel MacTechGenius but since the revamp this year...I got 0. Does Tesla not accept referrals from URL shortness or on other site?

Perhaps @islandbayy or @Nerdy_Engineer or @DÆrik and/or other forum member "Youtubers" can comment on this.

Though its possible I just didn't get an referrals...given my channel is on the smaller side.

This has been very strange. I did not get a single referral on the last program that they discontinued today. Not one single one. Very very strange too, as I know people who ordered. At minimum I always get AT LEAST 3 or 4 on the previous programs.

Weird... I've only got just shy of 2k subs and my channel brought in 3 referrals during this period.

Though what if the S and X were to be discontinued? Or changed to X2 or renamed entirely.

Or next SUV iteration no longer has Falcon Wing doors and not really an X anymore?

A serious answer: It will depend on what Tesla needs that quarter. The precedence is some unknown level of grandfathering but most of all constant change of everything, both for better and for worse.

Those who ordered in Q4 to get free Supercharging can now see how that would not have been necessary and vice-versa. So, likely, with Tesla we just never know.

In summary, no way can you know and thus it is better not to assume anything long-term. But follow the money is always a good advice. Tesla tends to err on the side of changes that help current quarter sales...

Reactions: MXWing
Yes. You scan scrap your I-Pace plans now that the Model X P200DL comes with free super charging. :D

Haven't you heard, I'm avoiding DC charging these days... ;) Idle charges at unpredictable times, peak rate throttling, eww...

Anyway, seriously, given that free Supercharging was never a factor for me (I charge too rarely for it to make a real difference), I doubt any changes in my personal behavior would occur. However I can see how this could remove an obstacle from some old owners. So from the quarterly games perspective I can see why Tesla did this and it is a nice thing for many owners.

Last edited:
Is this done to boost S and X sales and downplay 3?

Obviously. And most importantly I think it is done to boost current and next quarter sales. Tesla has probably seen some reluctance in upgrades...

IMO it also suggests some lack of confidence in how fast Model 3 can pick up the tab/take on the fiscal baton from its bigger siblings so to speak.

Expect a sales call...

This gets a blush to admit, but I'll see if others have done this on long trips with their 100D.
I would charge to max at home to make a 200 mile commute to the airport and back. And even though the 100D has (at minimum) 80 miles extra range to make the trip, I would still stop at a supercharger. I didn't charge, but instead went there for the comradery & to stop and visit restaurants.
Anyone else do this to save their charge credits & still want to stay part of the family?

Thank you Tesla, I'll use them every time I need to. Part of the charging club now.

I am dad of two little girls, Isabella and Katherine. I want to give them a toy Tesla. Can someone help me using my referral code to order to help them get their toy? My daughters are grateful if you can help them. Thanks

Jimmy

Screenshot_20170520-005446.png

Obviously. And most importantly I think it is done to boost current and next quarter sales. Tesla has probably seen some reluctance in upgrades...

IMO it also suggests some lack of confidence in how fast Model 3 can pick up the tab/take on the fiscal baton from its bigger siblings so to speak.

Expect a sales call...

There's already some osbourning going on. The logic is why buy a 70k S when they can get a 35k 3? Those who spend a lot of time on TMC would realize that they are always going to get the premier experience going with the S/X but the casuals won't know that.

I believe Elon when he says that people probably think the 3 is the 3rd generation Tesla that's better than the S and cheaper at the same time.

It would be beneficial to my share holdings if Tesla can maintain 320 price point based on continued high demand for S and X. I'll welcome the 100 point boost to 420 once the 3 is in force.

I'm not going to like it as much if share price collapses to 250 if Q3 shows continual cash burn and free fall in S/X deposits, and goes up to 350 from the 3.

This has been very strange. I did not get a single referral on the last program that they discontinued today. Not one single one. Very very strange too, as I know people who ordered. At minimum I always get AT LEAST 3 or 4 on the previous programs.

If you didn't get any referrals something must be wrong! I hope someone can get an answer from Tesla regarding this. Last year I got at least one during each period, nothing this year. ):

I thought it was my use of URL shorteners that hindered Tesla from processing the referrals but you have the entire URL listed in your description!

Weird... I've only got just shy of 2k subs and my channel brought in 3 referrals during this period.

Maybe you got a flagship video recently? When I made the Model X build quality video last year, it got 80k views and I got 3 referrals! My subscriber count is only 1200. How do you advertise your referral link on your videos? Link in description (URL shorter or Tesla link)???

But my referral link only got 80 clicks: https://goo.gl/vPuKbq maybe I should just keep the Tesla link since a weird looking referral link might hinder an individual from clicking on it???

Status
Not open for further replies.