Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] V11 UI Changes and Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Speculation that (v11) software could be the hold up...

I imagine they would want to debut v11 with the new cars, so we could be in for a wait.

Even if that’s not the case, if software is the hold-up, you could imagine that would be the focus for their teams, not releasing v11 on the fleet and fighting all the resulting bugs

Imagine if the car had an SDK for creating your own apps. It could even be ringfenced so it can't alter the main UI. The possibilities would be endless and Tesla would be able to maintain that generational progressive leap over competitors.
I think this would be a challenge for safety certification, in terms of proving the isolation will not break. I don't think it will come until the 3rd party apps can be run on a VM within the display unit CPU - too much of the display functionality is needed for important things.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I think this would be a challenge for safety certification, in terms of proving the isolation will not break. I don't think it will come until the 3rd party apps can be run on a VM within the display unit CPU - too much of the display functionality is needed for important things.
I agree.. although you could containerise stuff and run it in a frame within the main display, so that if the app crashes or does something nefarious then it is constrained and shouldn't (in theory) take out the display/hypervisor itself.

A decent amount of effort though, for something that arguably Tesla might not gain anything from.

The other obvious answer is Apple CarPlay/Android Auto but there appears to be zero interest in that, presumably due to licensing and/or Tesla's resolute defiance in using third-party stuff (see also: auto headlights/wipers).

Reactions: Jez_GB
I agree.. although you could containerise stuff and run it in a frame within the main display, so that if the app crashes or does something nefarious then it is constrained and shouldn't (in theory) take out the display/hypervisor itself.

A decent amount of effort though, for something that arguably Tesla might not gain anything from.

The other obvious answer is Apple CarPlay/Android Auto but there appears to be zero interest in that, presumably due to licensing and/or Tesla's resolute defiance in using third-party stuff (see also: auto headlights/wipers).
How's this different to the games, Netflix, Spotify integration? What's protecting the car from malicious or bad code in those apps? Why couldn't the same model or processes be applied to other app providers?

How's this different to the games, Netflix, Spotify integration? What's protecting the car from malicious or bad code in those apps? Why couldn't the same model or processes be applied to other app providers?
True, but there are a small number of providers here. Games maybe already run in an emulator, I guess. There are many ways to claim the design is safe, or that parts of the system are not critical even if they crash.

Call me old fashioned but running superfluous apps in safety-of-life systems is hubris at best.
Appealing as it may sound, I don’t think the benefit of having a Tesla App Store is worth the however-small risk of a critical component being interfered with, especially as the software complexity is only more likely to increase with FSD (if and when it arrives) and we know the quality of software that comes out of tech companies these days.

So it sounds like V11 has been delayed, possibly the reason for delaying refresh S/X deliveries in the US. I’m wondering whether we won’t just be seeing a new interface, but possibly some enhancements? Do the new S/X have the matrix LED style headlights, like the 2021 3s do? I wonder whether active headlights could be included with v11? I wonder whether Elon had intended to ship v11 in line with the refresh 3s, however decided to hold back to make a bigger impact with the refreshed S/X? Whilst I wouldn’t mind a snazzy new UI, making better use of the existing technologies in the car would be nice. Those matrix LEDs have a lot of promise...

Call me old fashioned but running superfluous apps in safety-of-life systems is hubris at best.
Appealing as it may sound, I don’t think the benefit of having a Tesla App Store is worth the however-small risk of a critical component being interfered with, especially as the software complexity is only more likely to increase with FSD (if and when it arrives) and we know the quality of software that comes out of tech companies these days.
Not old fashioned at all, and Tesla agree. There's 2 distinct systems; one for AP / FSD (HW2.5, HW3) and one for the infotainment system (MCU1, MCU2)

Source - Differences between MCU1 MCU2 HW2 HW2.5 HW3 AP EAP FSD by Tesla info

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
I gonna guess it's simply that v11 has too many bugs being found during testing still, they haven't got the issue rate down to below what they feel is acceptable. They are tolerant to failure, so delays don't matter so much to them as it would for other manufacturers.

With the matrix headlights, I am now in two
minds about their reason. They don't have many segments, so it could simply be to enable one unit to work on all global beam patterns for more efficient manufacturing and sale in more countries.

Reactions: NewbieT
Sounds promising:

SmartSelect_20210410-152008_Twitter.jpg

You never know, could turn out to be quite a nice automation.

Being able to set rules for heated seats e.g. turn on full if inside cabin temp <x. Turn on medium if cabin temp between x - x, turn off if cabin temp above x. Could also apply to exterior temperature. Only activate on seats that detect mass...

Above could apply to defrosting windows too.

Would save a little fiddling when first setting off.

Yes, there are other things that they could be paying attention to first but that's not the Tesla way. We know by now they're focused on improvements not found in other auto manufacturers.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
You never know, could turn out to be quite a nice automation.

Being able to set rules for heated seats e.g. turn on full if inside cabin temp <x. Turn on medium if cabin temp between x - x, turn off if cabin temp above x. Could also apply to exterior temperature. Only activate on seats that detect mass...

Above could apply to defrosting windows too.

Would save a little fiddling when first setting off.

Yes, there are other things that they could be paying attention to first but that's not the Tesla way. We know by now they're focused on improvements not found in other auto manufacturers.

One of our previous card (Volvo, I think) would turn on the seat heaters where the seats were occupied as well as the rear screen heater if the temperature was below something like 6°C when you started the car and that was about 15 years ago, so it would be nice to have the option but it's not exactly an innovation.

Tesla will find some way of overcomplicating the implementation so it doesn't work properly of course. They'll probably use the air conditioning system to detect localised increases in CO2 around the cabin or something.