Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost DOES NOT stay with vehicle (unless it is a private sale)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it is grimy for the consumer but for the investor (I’m both) it makes perfect sense.

Software purchases are yet another thing Tesla has that their competition doesn’t. As a long term investor I’m all for them maximizing revenue from software.

For those that have been following for years, Tesla was pretty close to bankruptcy (perceived at least) until relatively recently.
That have another little sneaky move, as soon as you trade a car in without FSD,. They will rape you on the trade, then activate the card and sell the vehicle for 15k more minimum. Can't blame them really .

Having read through this entire thread I come away with two points:
  1. (The most-discussed and obvious): if you sell your car to Tesla, then Tesla doesn't legally or morally owe you for any software options, independent of their future actions, and they can do whatever they want.
  2. However, the now-$10k FSD option, for largely yet-to-be-deployed capabilities, deserves a little more thought. I think Tesla should consider an incentive that allows the purchaser to carry over some sort of benefit from an FSD purchase. This could be transferability, discounted next purchase or whatever. Setting aside any arguments over what's right or fair, just look at it as a profit-optimizing incentive to increase the take-rate of this costly package and make the early adopters feel that it isn't a waste, that they're not suckers for funding it early. Then again, dont do it if it's not a reasonably significant future benefit to the buyer, i.e. don't make it an obviously cynical ploy.

Having read through this entire thread I come away with two points:
  1. (The most-discussed and obvious): if you sell your car to Tesla, then Tesla doesn't legally or morally owe you for any software options, independent of their future actions, and they can do whatever they want.
  2. However, the now-$10k FSD option, for largely yet-to-be-deployed capabilities, deserves a little more thought. I think Tesla should consider an incentive that allows the purchaser to carry over some sort of benefit from an FSD purchase. This could be transferability, discounted next purchase or whatever. Setting aside any arguments over what's right or fair, just look at it as a profit-optimizing incentive to increase the take-rate of this costly package and make the early adopters feel that it isn't a waste, that they're not suckers for funding it early. Then again, dont do it if it's not a reasonably significant future benefit to the buyer, i.e. don't make it an obviously cynical ploy.
1 - I could kind of agree on that, but it isn't what Tesla does. Earlier this year I just was curious about the trade-in they would offer, and it was $55 K (which is way more than a new LR AWD without FSD). I have both FSD (from delivery) and AB (added later). Vehicle was around 9 months old with 6K miles.
2 - so considering that, there's no need as they already give you more when trading in a vehicle with FSD.

Though I think people would be more inclined to buy FSD if they can carry it over to a new vehicle, as it would be way cheaper in the long run. But obviously Tesla would make less money...

Last edited:
It seems shady, but as long as they are up front about it, OK. For Tesla it makes sense. Why pay extra for a software option on a trade-in vehicle when they are just going to remove it anyway? And it probably makes sense for them to strip software options from their used inventory and just let the next buyer purchase the option if he wants it.

Bottom line is be prepared to sell private party if you have bought FSD. If I find a buyer who wants FSD I could even come out ahead depending on how much the price of FSD has increased since I purchased it. Perhaps another reason to consider the subscription model for FSD.

I'm sure the original concerns have been lost in the pages however I understand your issue and feel you were in a bad spot. The only idea I could come up with is a bold reason to possibly look into aftermarket ideas for acceleration boost. Going this route would allow a physically device to be pulled off of one car and placing in another. I know this is not the best option however it does give value going aftermarket. The other value is that you have something in your hand that you could possibility re sell to someone else and gain back some of your investment,

That have another little sneaky move, as soon as you trade a car in without FSD,. They will rape you on the trade, then activate the card and sell the vehicle for 15k more minimum. Can't blame them really .
You'd think that an automaker whose FSD cars are crashing into stationary objects - and with a litany of other bad press as of late... wouldn't also want to be known as the rapist of the auto industry.

Hubris doesn't always catch up with its perpetrators -- but most of the time yes.

Confused: I've read here that AB is removed when a Tesla is sold back to Tesla. Also, that AB is NOT removed when a Tesla is sold privately.

Does Tesla remove the AB as soon as they've learned that the car has been sold privately? I assume Tesla continues software updates, and can "see" the AB is installed.

Confused: I've read here that AB is removed when a Tesla is sold back to Tesla. Also, that AB is NOT removed when a Tesla is sold privately.

Does Tesla remove the AB as soon as they've learned that the car has been sold privately? I assume Tesla continues software updates, and can "see" the AB is installed.
no, that's illegal. they only remove it if they own the car (someone trades it in).

I honestly don't understand why people think this is an issue at all. If you're happy with the trade-in value, then sell it to them. What they (or any other owner of any other car) do with it after that is up to them. It's up to the next buyer to decide if the vehicle being offered is worth it.

no, that's illegal. they only remove it if they own the car (someone trades it in).

I honestly don't understand why people think this is an issue at all. If you're happy with the trade-in value, then sell it to them. What they (or any other owner of any other car) do with it after that is up to them. It's up to the next buyer to decide if the vehicle being offered is worth it.
It is a big issue because one you spent money on it. And two it impacts cost of the car, cuz you paid for it. And it can differentiate one car from another. The problem is Tesla is killing the value of these additions devauling your car in the eyes of a buyer.

This whole category of licensing BS by Tesla is a major issue that needs regulatory oversight. It's really anti-consumer when they hide behind the license protection crap.

People say a lot of things, but it really is only an issue for a couple of reasons. One, Tesla sometimes sells vehicles to wholesalers and then Tesla may remove the feature in a less than timely manner. The wholesaler can be confused and report features to the buyer that the car doesn't have.

Beyond that, Tesla does not place a high premium on features like this in their trade-in values. People are shocked to find that the feature they paid $10k for is only worth a few thousand (if that) on the used market. Acceleration boost isn't well understood and doesn't seem to be valued highly.

Somehow people blame Tesla for both of these problems. 🤷‍♂️

There are a lot of threads about this. Tesla does not remove software add-ons (FSD, AB etc) as a result of a private sale .. the add-ons follow the car around. However, they do change the car configuration if they take ownership back (say, as a trade-in) before re-selling the car on.

Reactions: laservet

This.