Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The distance it wants me to follow other cars is insane
Even Autopilot's maximum follow setting of 7 is roughly 2 seconds, so if you want to improve the safety factor, you need to follow someone at highway speeds at least 1 second behind and have the visualization just barely show the lead vehicle (that's about 3 seconds away).

Or you can just ignore that factor. Even with the maximum 60% unsafe following, the safety score is still 99 (rounded up from 98.61). Hopefully that's enough to get enrolled later this week with 98+?

Reactions: M109Rider
Full reboot or just two-button? I had done a two-button reboot and no changes.
Well, if the reboot didn't work, then it's something else. You can try the full reboot - pressing on the brakes while doing the 2 buttons until you see the Tesla logo appear. I don't think it'll make any difference if the easier reboot didn't do anything.

- is your car in park?
- have you actually purchased FSD?
- do you have an older car that might require a camera upgrade? (okay, see you have a September delivery - shouldn't be an issue).

If any of this was true, then you'll have to contact service and ask them. I don't think it would be a calibration issue, but it does sound like something is amiss.

Well, if the reboot didn't work, then it's something else. You can try the full reboot - pressing on the brakes while doing the 2 buttons until you see the Tesla logo appear. I don't think it'll make any difference if the easier reboot didn't do anything.

- is your car in park?
- have you actually purchased FSD?
- do you have an older car that might require a camera upgrade? (okay, see you have a September delivery - shouldn't be an issue).

If any of this was true, then you'll have to contact service and ask them. I don't think it would be a calibration issue, but it does sound like something is amiss.
Thanks @TrevTremaine,
As my signature states, my model 3 is a 2021 LRAWD Multicoat Red, acquired in late September. I did not get/purchase FSD and I am certain that my cams are up-to-date. 😀

Thanks for the inputs.

I'm stuck at 98. The distance it wants me to follow other cars is insane. Nobody drives like that.
Fully agree. I use AP 100% of the time on the highway as it won't tag you for following too close if the AP creeps up or someone cuts in (as it does and as they do) and in the city I now pretend everyone in front of me is radioactive and stay a stupid distance away yet.....I still get nailed on that one (yellow) and that aggressive turning which JEESH...... I hope it is not seriously stupid that those that stayed at 100% for 7 days precede those at 99% and then 98% for extended periods. It is outrageous as we paid for the feature and the safety score is BS as it demonstrates that you CAN drive safely but not that you DO !!

Thanks @TrevTremaine,
As my signature states, my model 3 is a 2021 LRAWD Multicoat Red, acquired in late September. I did not get/purchase FSD and I am certain that my cams are up-to-date. 😀

Thanks for the inputs.
So, since you haven't paid or subscribed you cannot get the FSD beta - simply put. It's only available for those who have paid for it.

So, since you haven't paid or subscribed you cannot get the FSD beta - simply put. It's only available for those who have paid for it.
OHHHH!!! Really? OK, I was under the impression that this “preview” was being rolled out even if we hadn’t paid for it - as a teaser.

Check this out:

OHHHH!!! Really? OK, I was under the impression that this “preview” was being rolled out even if we hadn’t paid for it - as a teaser.

Check this out:
Uh, no. You *might* get an earlier version to test, but not this particular one. This would be a slap in the face for those who actually paid up front for it. The "enrollment" is actually still solely for those who paid for FSD, but since this is a beta FSD, Tesla wants people who "qualify" as test drivers to run with it first in order to vet the program and to help drive the errors out before a more general rollout.

You gotta pay to play otherwise you're SOL.

Uh, no. You *might* get an earlier version to test, but not this particular one. This would be a slap in the face for those who actually paid up front for it. The "enrollment" is actually still solely for those who paid for FSD, but since this is a beta FSD, Tesla wants people who "qualify" as test drivers to run with it first in order to vet the program and to help drive the errors out before a more general rollout.

You gotta pay to play otherwise you're SOL.
OK, would’ve been nice and fun to actually check it out for even a short period.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I got the invitation software too. Don’t understand, since my car is from 2017 and I need a camera upgrade. Asked service centre for this and they haven’t got them in. So I probably won’t get in, inherent of my safety score.

Drove yesterday. Safety score of 90. Had some “aggressive turns” and a “forward collision warning” of which I know nothing about as my setting is set to “late“ and the safety score is calculated at setting “medium”.

I forgo on the FSD BETA software. I think my driving is very safe but I am not going to drive like a grandma for a week - all the while being stressed if one particular turn was not “too aggressive” or me stopping behind another car might have triggered forward collision warning. I think the car is still a whiner sometimes with these so called “warnings” setting of for no good reason.

I'm stuck at 98. The distance it wants me to follow other cars is insane. Nobody drives like that.
From Tesla website

Unsafe following is only measured when your vehicle is traveling at least 50 mph and is incorporated into the Safety Score formula as a percentage. Unsafe following while on Autopilot is not factored into the Safety Score formula.

I’ve tailgate people all day today under 80kmh and got nothing negative.

From Tesla website

Unsafe following is only measured when your vehicle is traveling at least 50 mph and is incorporated into the Safety Score formula as a percentage. Unsafe following while on Autopilot is not factored into the Safety Score formula.

This is good FB as I am leaving huge distances between myself and next car in the city. Got 100% on the drive home from work today but a ton of dirty looks and people up my A&& when I am doing 110 on the 401.

• Funny
Reactions: CanadianRob
From Tesla website

Thanks found the website, good read shows all the parameters they use and weights for each. Unsafe following counts for up to 60% of the score

Man this safety score is silly. Making lefts on yellow lights you really have to doddle in the intersection even the slightest acceleration and you get aggressive turning, also you have to make rights into places so slow as to piss everyone off behind you. I get forward collisions crossing bridges that are different colors than the road, it gets confused and thinks it's an object and its just the rise of the bridge. The safe follow I haven't figure out yet I think I'm getting hit with that starting off at lights with cars in front. If you live in a city it's basically how bad do you want to piss off other drivers.

Reactions: Funkmobile
This is good FB as I am leaving huge distances between myself and next car in the city. Got 100% on the drive home from work today but a ton of dirty looks and people up my A&& when I am doing 110 on the 401.
I do 110 on the 401 all the time and no one bats an eye at me.

But.. i also dont give a fk if they care or not lol

Man this safety score is silly. Making lefts on yellow lights you really have to doddle in the intersection even the slightest acceleration and you get aggressive turning, also you have to make rights into places so slow as to piss everyone off behind you. I get forward collisions crossing bridges that are different colors than the road, it gets confused and thinks it's an object and its just the rise of the bridge. The safe follow I haven't figure out yet I think I'm getting hit with that starting off at lights with cars in front. If you live in a city it's basically how bad do you want to piss off other drivers.
More to the point, FSD Beta is the Tesla mini game where we see who's willing to have the least amount of fun driving their car.

More to the point, FSD Beta is the Tesla mini game where we see who's willing to have the least amount of fun driving their car.

Can’t wait to get out of this beta mess seriously. Im tired of people looking at me like im a dumb driver, or taking advantage of me because I have to keep a good distance between the car in front, honking because i drive slow, turning corners like a turtle, for god sake you can’t even touch the brake pedal!!
All this with a performance model 😡
I feel like a superhero, i got all these super powers (0 to 100 in 3.7) 🙃 but i have to play cool and retain myself 🙄🙄

Can’t wait to get out of this beta mess seriously. Im tired of people looking at me like im a dumb driver, or taking advantage of me because I have to keep a good distance between the car in front, honking because i drive slow, turning corners like a turtle, for god sake you can’t even touch the brake pedal!!
All this with a performance model 😡
I feel like a superhero, i got all these super powers (0 to 100 in 3.7) 🙃 but i have to play cool and retain myself 🙄🙄
FSD won’t be a pic-nik either. That’s kind of one of the reasons this test is in place. To ensure the participants can handle it. :)