Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an MX plaid in end of June, but only opted in for Beta July 14. Is there any point to maintain my safety score or should I opt out for now and opt back in when word of the next wave hits?
Well, I can tell you it's nigh near impossible for me to keep a decent safety score in Toronto. If you're somewhere where people drive nicely and can do it, then you're more likely to get in if you've got a longer record, I would think.

Reactions: neoprime
Has anyone in Canada received their camera upgrade invite in the last few months or so ? I’m still waiting after several years and SC was even kind enough to escalate my case too. I doubt it haha but I’m hoping it’s possibly due to a switch to the new HW4 cameras . 🤔

I have a 2017 Model X. I purchased it with the FSD option.

Here I am, 5 years later, still waiting. My safety score is 95, which is pretty good for Toronto driving.

I called Tesla to request the camera upgrade in June and so far: nothing.

When do you think I"ll be part of the beta? 5 more years?

I have a 2017 Model X. I purchased it with the FSD option.

Here I am, 5 years later, still waiting. My safety score is 95, which is pretty good for Toronto driving.

I called Tesla to request the camera upgrade in June and so far: nothing.

When do you think I"ll be part of the beta? 5 more years?
Yup I feel ya .2016 X December build here bought with FSD…..SS 100 . Vancouver

While some are waiting for their safety score, I’m getting more and more upset with the lack of subscription option for FSD in Canada. I do want to try FSD, and I’m willing to pay the monthly price for a bit, but I’m not in a position to cash out 12k at once for this, nor is it even worth it on my 3yrs car/for the current state of FSD.

It’s not like subscription from Tesla wasn’t a thing in Canada. We already have the mechanism for premium connectivity. They just kind of forget to active the option for us or they simply don’t care. It’s very frustrating. Once again, as Canadian we‘re treaded like the dumb little brother of the USA.

/rant

It’s not like subscription from Tesla wasn’t a thing in Canada. We already have the mechanism for premium connectivity. They just kind of forget to active the option for us or they simply don’t care. It’s very frustrating. Once again, as Canadian we‘re treaded like the dumb little brother of the USA.

/rant
I doubt it’s because they forgot. More likely there’s a bunch of extra things to do for the Canadian market like having legal review and draft the subscription terms and conditions for Canadian and provincial legislation. Considering the market for FSD beta subs in Canada is probably quite small (hundreds of people? Maybe a thousand or two at most?) I can easily see why it’s not a priority. If someone is desperate enough for FSD, they can buy it, nobody is really suffering here…

Reactions: Vawlkus and Jovo
While some are waiting for their safety score, I’m getting more and more upset with the lack of subscription option for FSD in Canada. I do want to try FSD, and I’m willing to pay the monthly price for a bit, but I’m not in a position to cash out 12k at once for this, nor is it even worth it on my 3yrs car/for the current state of FSD.

/rant
I won't even bother til it is level 3.

After using FSD extensively for about 2 months now on Ontario 400 series highways, 80 km rural routes and in my population 19,000 town I’ll offer some comments. Many of these are known issues and reported already.

- Basically zero issues on 400 series highways however I turned off auto lane change and command them myself with the turn signal. IMO the system makes to many unnecessary lane changes.

- On the 80 km roads it does a good job except approaching decelerating speed zones. After passing a 60 or 50 km sign doing 80-90 the car just coasts and doesn’t slow nearly fast enough. Its like there is no regen at all and my regen is set to high. Another thing I would like to see is for the car to start decelerating after passing the ‘60 kph ahead’ sign with the arrow so I don’t go blowing by the ‘60 begins’ sign at 90 kph.

- Around town it does great staying on any of the well marked roads and it handles ‘straight ahead’ stop sign/traffic light intersections really well including late green to amber traffic light changes. Again I command my own lane changes as it’s choices are often unnecessary.

- Where the system fails is turning left or right at traffic light and stop sign intersections. I’ve had to disconnect so many times I quit even trying. When it does work it had false starts, very jerky often violent steering inputs, hesitation, hard acceleration and inappropriate turning arcs. It’s basically trying to get itself rear ended at times…and I’m surprised it didn’t curb my wheels it gets so close.

- I have a roundabout I use on a well marked 80 km rural road. The reason it fails there is not it’s ability on the roundabout but it’s lack of ability to decelerate in time after passing the ‘60 km begins’ sign as described above. If I didn’t disconnect it wouldn’t make the turn and would understeer (pushing for the NASCAR guys…) and plow over the center of the roundabout.

- Another failure that I see constantly and has been reported already is on 2 lane roads with no centreline markings or road edge markings. The system favours the center of the road to a fault and requires frequent disconnects with oncoming traffic.

- The most dangerous fail I have seen a number of times is around town and the steering wheel suddenly and violently jerks to the right or left for no apparent reason when travelling in a straight line.

Bottom line for me so far? Give me Enhanced Autopilot and and the $2800+tax I paid for FSD back. (My 2018 had the $6600 EAP so my upgrade price to FSD was $2800+tax)

Last edited:
After using FSD extensively for about 2 months now on Ontario 400 series highways, 80 km rural routes and in my population 19,000 town I’ll offer some comments. Many of these are known issues and reported already.

- Basically zero issues on 400 series highways however I turned off auto lane change and command them myself with the turn signal. IMO the system makes to many unnecessary lane changes.

- On the 80 km roads it does a good job except approaching decelerating speed zones. After passing a 60 or 50 km sign doing 80-90 the car just coasts and doesn’t slow nearly fast enough. Its like there is no regen at all and my regen is set to high. Another thing I would like to see is for the car to start decelerating after passing the ‘60 kph ahead’ sign with the arrow so I don’t go blowing by the ‘60 begins’ sign at 90 kph.

- Around town it does great staying on any of the well marked roads and it handles ‘straight ahead’ stop sign/traffic light intersections really well including late green to amber traffic light changes. Again I command my own lane changes as it’s choices are often unnecessary.

- Where the system fails is turning left or right at traffic light and stop sign intersections. I’ve had to disconnect so many times I quit even trying. When it does work it had false starts, very jerky often violent steering inputs, hesitation, hard acceleration and inappropriate turning arcs. It’s basically trying to get itself rear ended at times…and I’m surprised it didn’t curb my wheels it gets so close.

- I have a roundabout I use on a well marked 80 km rural road. The reason it fails there is not it’s ability on the roundabout but it’s lack of ability to decelerate in time after passing the ‘60 km begins’ sign as described above. If I didn’t disconnect it wouldn’t make the turn and would understeer (pushing for the NASCAR guys…) and plow over the center of the roundabout.

- Another failure that I see constantly and has been reported already is on 2 lane roads with no centreline markings or road edge markings. The system favours the center of the road to a fault and requires frequent disconnects with oncoming traffic.

- The most dangerous fail I have seen a number of times is around town and the steering wheel suddenly and violently jerks to the right or left for no apparent reason when travelling in a straight line.

Bottom line for me so far? Give me Enhanced Autopilot and and the $2800+tax I paid for FSD back. (My 2018 had the $6600 EAP so my upgrade price to FSD was $2800+tax)
I agree with everything you've said up until the last paragraph.

I have a May 3rd 2018 Model 3. The $2,600 we spent not only went to FSD... but went to a MUCH more capable computer.

From my perspective, the extra we paid for that computer was worth it, and we got FSD as a bonus.

Its interesting reading your comments after a couple months. It has been a month since I downgraded back to enhanced autopilot and I am much happier. I don't love the money I wasted as to me the upgraded computer doesn't provide much value without FSD. It is strange to me how solid autopilot is and the same functionality with FSD is not as good. Just the basics like how it stays in the lane, speeds up and slows down. Autopilot drives like it has some experience it eases to a stop, and off the line, smooth to changes in speed, is calm in the lane, FSD drives like it has no experience, it super erratic with its acceleration and braking and super unsure in its lane. I agree with lane changes and I control that myself, even with navigate on auto pilot its not good. FSD has very little value add and it has some significant downgrades. Are people still using it all the time?

I'll also add then when your on one of the 80km/h roads, and when someone passes you, it breaks and pulls really close to the shoulder for no reason instead of just continuing on it's way, just asking for the other person behind you to rear end you if they are not paying attention.

Reactions: Tz00
The geofenced exclusion zone for downtown Toronto is a bit frustrating. I live two blocks outside of it so for most of my weekday destinations like work, the car has less functionality than before FSD Beta. Given Tesla's seeming comfort with rolling out not quite fully baked features, I have to wonder how bad FSD's approach to streetcars is that lead to excluding downtown Toronto altogether. I would guess that the biggest problem is deciding when / whether to pass. It would be a big step forward if it at least recognized a streetcar for what it was and just didn't pass until the algorithm can be trained on the complexities of safely passing in the curb lane. Naturally, in the list of things to fix, this one isn't going to be that high up but blocking use altogether South of Bloor / Danforth seems like a blunt instrument.

Been over two months since the last FSD update. Missing the other updates as well, makes that time frame tougher.
Anyone have any inside scoop on when the next FSD update will come ?

Aug 20 release apparently. Hope that’s not ‘Elon time’:

Reactions: M109Rider
Aug 20 release apparently. Hope that’s not ‘Elon time’:

I'm all set with my safety score of 93 or 94, depending on the day. Phantom Forward Collision Warnings are a killer! Maybe Elon will let me in this time.

Man, I gotta say I'm getting more and more bothered by how FSD handles offramps. So many times it actually accelerates to 120 km/h when the ramp is clearly marked as 60km/h. I would love to see the Tesla safety score for dad drives. It's funny because the way fsd drives it would be getting hammered on hard cornering, hard braking and sometimes even a forward collision warning. It would be lucky to have a safety score of 80 imo 😏

Here's hoping the next build will make these transitions smoother. Doesn't make sense why they are there to begin with.

Reactions: corlaandstan