Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, even as someone who has an LR on order, I didn't notice this. This is kinda shady, they are comparing 2 variants of the same car on their site with an apple to oranges measurement. Very clearly done to show the largest gap between 2 cars. Makes me even more happy with my LR purchase considering its much less of a difference. 2.299 to 3.1 or 1.99 to 2.8.
People who buy a plaid probably don't pay attention to the 0-60. They're probably more focused on the 9.23 at 155 which is just crazy fast. I'm honestly a little skeptical of the 155mph but we'll see in a few weeks if I'm right.

You know, even as someone who has an LR on order, I didn't notice this. This is kinda shady, they are comparing 2 variants of the same car on their site with an apple to oranges measurement. Very clearly done to show the largest gap between 2 cars. Makes me even more happy with my LR purchase considering its much less of a difference. 2.299 to 3.1 or 1.99 to 2.8.
Lol not gonna disagree with you. It's a little weird. It does work in your favor though technically lol

I think you're making a pretty big deductive leap here. I'll admit I'm a layman in these matters with limited software/electrical engineering background, but I'm struggling to understand why you're saying that it can't be due to a lack of processing power. I mean, there is a finite limit to the processing power of the CPU/GPU, so it's not unreasonable to assume that if enough cycles are tied up doing other things, it just cannot be done. After all, why would a nice smooth, post-processed visualization be a priority? Frankly, the driver doesn't NEED a visualization at all.

I'm curious what you're referring to when you say "this isn't news, this is what they've always done." Is this something that Tesla has actually stated? "Isn't news" and "what they've always done" indicate to me that there is authoritative data here.

Not to pick nits, but though they don't call the feature that describes the functionality of the current "Beta FSD" (i.e. Autosteer on City Streets), FSD, they do call the system "Full Self Driving Capability". There are only two options for Tesla cars purchased today: Autopilot, and Full Self Driving Capability.
I have more than a little experience in this area and a lot of insight into Tesla’s software development approach and the software itself. No, it would never make sense for this to be a hardware or compute power limitation in the MCU. It just doesn’t work that way. The amount of additional processing required to eliminate the bouncing lines would be trivial.

Though the way it works they would actually have to remove the code that intentionally does this. There’s a reason that lane lines can shake even if you’re sitting still and nothing is moving - the vision system isn’t reporting two different interpretations of the same view that alternate every few frames when those frames look 99.99% the same. ML models are probabilistic, and essentially report a value that indicates confidence in what they’re inferring. Normally the system has very high confidence that certain segments of the image are lane lines (or borders, etc), and provides a low probability that other parts of the image are lane lines. However, sometimes it is less sure, so instead of “I’m 99% sure these pixels here are a lane line”, it might only have 60% confidence. And often in those cases it will detect two lines of pixels as both being similar not-very-sure confidence level. In these cases, the visualization wants to communicate to the driver (and to Tesla engineers in the debug version of it) that the system isn’t confident in what it’s seeing and sees multiple alternatives as having roughly the same probably of being correct. The UI could decide to just pick one, or it could average them out and pick a line in the middle, but it intentionally doesn’t do that. Instead it wobbles back and forth between the two. It’s the AP perception team’s goal and responsibility to reduce this by improving the ML model so that it always produces a high confidence (and accurate) output. It’s not the UI team’s goal to hide this or to misrepresent the confidence the vision system has in what it’s seeing.

Last edited:
Reactions: lzolman
People who buy a plaid probably don't pay attention to the 0-60. They're probably more focused on the 9.23 at 155 which is just crazy fast. I'm honestly a little skeptical of the 155mph but we'll see in a few weeks if I'm right.
Respectfully, I disagree. I would bet that the vast majority of people buying a Plaid Model S are doing so for the superlative kick in the chest they get jumping from the traffic light to beat the next car to the merge. That, and to flex, if I'm honest. Very, very few of these owners will actually take these cars to the track.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money, I'd be right there with 'em, but this is the true greatness of EVs (and this coming from a former owner of an S2k and E90 M3, both of which redlined well over 8k): you don't need to "bury the needle" to have fun.

That's what I was figuring especially as the specs compared to that prior mode! Thank you!
Respectfully, I disagree. I would bet that the vast majority of people buying a Plaid Model S are doing so for the superlative kick in the chest they get jumping from the traffic light to beat the next car to the merge. That, and to flex, if I'm honest. Very, very few of these owners will actually take these cars to the track.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money, I'd be right there with 'em, but this is the true greatness of EVs (and this coming from a former owner of an S2k and E90 M3, both of which redlined well over 8k): you don't need to "bury the needle" to have fun.
Funny,
I’ve owned 4 Tesla’s so far and none have been performance versions. I had plenty of chances to drive P100D Model S\X but I knew if I did, I would always want to trade mine in for one. So my plaid will be the first time experiencing something at that caliber. I remember when I drove my S75D home from the dealership coming from a Lexus ES, and never had driven a Tesla before, I literally had tears in my eyes on how amazing the car was and I will never forget that feeling. Planning on the same thing for the plaid! I

Fair enough... I have a P100D and I can't imagine driving something any faster. The 9.23 - 155mph is just mind-blowing IMO. The 1/4 mile for the current Model S performance is about 10.4 at 126mph (best case.) I'm sure everyone understands 0-60 in 2 seconds is very fast. However, I doubt many people understand just how much faster the Plaid will be compared to the Model S performance. It's really on another level completely. The 155mph trap speed is just unbelievable. It's actually so impressive that I'm a little skeptical lol... I was thinking 9.6 1/4 at 146-148.. I've seen the videos from a few years ago of Tesla owners getting rides in the tri-motor roadster. It was legit so I guess the 9.23 at 155 could be accurate..

Last edited:
Thinking same thing.. Also the videos
100% I wonder how many of US lol have clicked on the Steering Wheel and Gear Selection videos in particular 🤪

AB200B38-84C7-40BB-BDAD-BD87C6FCF88D_4_5005_c.jpeg

If not .5 then .4 or .3, I'd still go for it. Look, that's exactly what they did with the 3/Y and didn't seem worried about cannibalizing the Performance sales, so why not with the S/X?
We always want a little more. I bought the biggest TV at Costco a few months back. Beautiful 85” Samsung. Now they sell a 86” LG. 😳

I think their priorities are on making the actual vehicle than the superfluous fluff to come later. With that being said, I agree that it would be nice to be ordering the floor mats , etc. to have ready at delivery. Also, I want to read the manual to see what I am getting myself into with this redesign.

Reactions: Tigers
I think their priorities are on making the actual vehicle than the superfluous fluff to come later. With that being said, I agree that it would be nice to be ordering the floor mats , etc. to have ready at delivery. Also, I want to read the manual to see what I am getting myself into with this redesign.
With the S and X rollout, videos were not posted until well after first deliveries. Same with manuals. Those getting posted will not be a sign of anything to come. When folks start saying they have a car in their driveway, that’s the start. A VIN is also somewhat meaningless. Sorry folks. Bathe in the anticipation of the glorious vehicles Mr. Musk is so graciously willing to sell us.

Does tesla do any real pre-delivery showcase of their cars. I would be less anxious if they had real demo video or that presentation that elon promised on the Q4 call

No and why would they? I'm sure they have a long list of buyers regardless, and certainly enough to meet production output for the next couple of months. I'm with you on wanting to try and see it first, but that's not how they operate (too many people willing to buy site unseen).

Does tesla do any real pre-delivery showcase of their cars. I would be less anxious if they had real demo video or that presentation that elon promised on the Q4 call
Not really. Not for the public. If you really want that, you have to wait for stores to get cars to test drive, etc. As for that “promised” call, if it comes, it will likely come after the first deliveries or just before but when cars are en route for delivery. He doesn’t want to answer questions about delays, production, etc.

Reactions: Nappypapi