Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like those on 10.4 with HW2 are stuck, at least according to teslafi. The number of cars stayed at 155 for several days, drop by 1 yesterday, but went back up to 156 today.
I thought this was the longest I've been "stuck," but it isn't. I've been on 10.4 for 54 days.
But, 64 days from 17.50.3 -> 18.6.1
and, 59 days from 17.17.4 -> 17.26.76 (the silky smooth update that ruined AP!)

It'd be cool if AP is better, but I'm not losing any sleep over not having any of the other features

With Tesla now selling three different models, with three more on the way, and the software for Model 3 still in progress, is it not time to identify software upgrades by their designated target - Fleet, Roadster, Semi, Model S, Model X, Model 3 and Model Y?

Does this update fix the lane ping pong at slow speeds in stop and go traffic?
My car used to do the ping pong dance (i think it was on .14 then though). I was in crawling traffic coming to work this morning, and didn't do it. I got the .18 release a couple of days ago. The only odd behavior I noticed was this: I was on the right lane and right where an on-ramp meged into the highway I was on, and the lane was wider for a little bit due to the two lanes merging, instead of staying straight and orienting using the left lane markers, the car swerved a little to the right and centered itself to the wider "lane" then gradually centered back. Nothing dramatic though.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
I think .16 was put out primarily to fix major issues with MCU2. (Inability to reboot MCU. Inability to connect to WiFi)
But .16 broke the heated steering wheel. So 2018.18 was put out as the fix for the heated steering wheel. So not much new for MCU1 in .16 or .18 other than losing a feature and then getting it restored weeks later.

I wish they'd decide if they are going to consolidate the software (MCU1 gets the same as the Model 3) or not... they did, then they didn't and now here they are again. I can see MCU2 getting the same thing as the 3, but MCU1? Okay, so, do it and stay that way....

And if they do, are we going to have two threads? Three (in every forum)? We thought the S and X were messy... :D

One difference I noticed on 2018.18 is that AP now slows down more before tight turns that it did not slow down for before. Wonder if they are starting to incorporate map data in to AP now?

Data has always been there. The Autopilot map tiles have had a set of 5 or so data points per road segment (spline) that describes a speed that (a car? the average car?) was traveling and the G forces it experienced.

It could be possible that new tiles are showing up at a URL we don't currently know about, but I think it's more likely that the software interpreting these tiles has changed in 2018.18 that results in it choosing a different speed based off this data.

What is a fully restart? I know the MCU reset with the two buttons.

I got .18 yesterday when I was at the SC. I have not notice anything changing and wonder if I should do the hard reset. Didn't have issue with heated seats or steering wheel, but I was still on .12 with the updated maps.

Tried Nav system and still loads slow so No increase on MCU speed. Screen still resetting as i drive.

With the keys on you, get in the car and shut the door. Go into settings, E-park or somehting like that (can't remember exactly what it's called), and do shutdown. You'll hear the occasional noise as the car shuts down. Don't touch anything in the car, don't open the door, don't access your Tesla app on your phone for 5 minutes. then hit the brake to turn the car back on.

What is a fully restart? I know the MCU reset with the two buttons.

I got .18 yesterday when I was at the SC. I have not notice anything changing and wonder if I should do the hard reset. Didn't have issue with heated seats or steering wheel, but I was still on .12 with the updated maps.

Tried Nav system and still loads slow so No increase on MCU speed. Screen still resetting as i drive.
What do you mean, exactly, you were still on 2018.12? 12 didn't give you maps, the maps came along separately somewhere between there and maybe not even yet.

With the keys on you, get in the car and shut the door. Go into settings, E-park or somehting like that (can't remember exactly what it's called), and do shutdown. You'll hear the occasional noise as the car shuts down. Don't touch anything in the car, don't open the door, don't access your Tesla app on your phone for 5 minutes. then hit the brake to turn the car back on.

Thanks I'll go try it.

One difference I noticed on 2018.18 is that AP now slows down more before tight turns that it did not slow down for before. Wonder if they are starting to incorporate map data in to AP now?
From my experience, it's done this since 2018.10.4 by looking ahead with the camera, and seeing the curving road. Not sure if it's doing it more now or not, but doubt it's using the map.

What do you mean, exactly, you were still on 2018.12? 12 didn't give you maps, the maps came along separately somewhere between there and maybe not even yet.

I was on 2018.12 with the new maps and Nav or at least I think so. I've only had the car for 6 weeks. I got the Beta Map notification and the new display on upper left dash. Yesterday when I picked up the 3 I got 2018.18 pushed down to me. I don't see any difference in MCU speed since day one. radio is slow switching Nav is slow.