Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Doug_G - I think your link was supposed to take us direct to the fellow's take on the referral program. At least for me, it's taking me to the top of the article, and I was unable to discern the particular take on the program you are referring to (and there is unfortunately, plenty of drek to scroll past).

If you can't link to the individual comment, you might have to quote it, with enough info for us to jump back and search for it.

Looking at that chart, the sales of all cars except the i3 are down. Typically July and August are months car dealers are selling off their inventory to make room for the next year's models which are due in September-October. Anything sold in relatively small numbers probably won't stay in stock long and inventories will tend to have a lot of cars with fairly low demand. If you posted numbers for all cars, you would probably see an increase in sales of high volume production cars with soft demand as dealers start pushing them harder. And as pointed out above, Tesla's numbers are always softer the first month of a quarter.

That's a more than reasonable request - hate all the USE MY REFERRAL CODEs with no offer of help. Lots of folks here are happy to mentor (even without the referral code) - nice that you're going to work with one of those folks.

Never thought of offering to help.... Should have but didn't. I would gladly help any person in the Saint Louis Metro Area who is interested in a Model S with their purchasing decision. Send me a PM and I will get back to you ASAP.

To the people looking down their noses to the people asking for referral code, not everyone lives where you do or knows 10 people with a Tesla. Where I live it is a rarity to see a Tesla to the point that I take a picture and text it to my wife whenever I see one. Yes, she is very tolerant. Anyway, why should someone be penalized simple because they are not lucky enough to know someone with a Tesla. I'm sure tesla figured out that pretty much anyone buying a model s from now on will be using a code. It is really a price drop in disguise. Nothing more. Instead of tesla spending money on marketing and stores they are giving it to the customer.

Last edited:
Everyone would like you to use their owner code to purchase a new MS. Let me give you something in return for using mine. Use this code http://ts.la/thomas3127 I will give you in return for those living in or near the SF Bay Area:

- Test drive consultation to include:
- Current options available including all AutoPilot features, functions and practicality, 21s vs. 19s, staggered vs. square, frunk sizes, etc.
- 3rd party available options to include console, window tint, paint coating, rim guards, floor mats, coat hooks, car cover
- 2015 TMC Connect personal feedback, including factory tour & Tesla HQ party.
- If you are one of 10 buyers to use my link to purchase your model S in the next 90 days and I win the free Model X because of it, I will give you an additional $1,000.00

Thanks for your consideration.

From what I heard today car sales were up in July (in general not Tesla specific). I'll point out that some of Tesla's June sales in the US may have been pushed higher due to a number of state incentives expiring at the end of June. For example Washington's sales tax exemption expired and the Model S is not eligible for the new one. I recall there were some other ones expiring as well but don't recall which ones. I know that Tesla really pushed to get as many cars in those situations delivered as they could. Which certainly meant delaying other locations vehicles in order to try and accommodate those orders. So I wouldn't be surprised if June wasn't even more titled tilted towards the US than normal and July is more titled away from it than normal. In short I think it's difficult to draw conclusions about demand from this information.

My CHAdeMO pitch:

PM for my code.
Why? This will save you $1,000.00 plus I will use my credit to order two CHAdeMO adapters and ship one to you.

Should I be favored with more than one referral, I'll buy two more CHAdeMO adapters with each discount and give one to the buyer, and station one at a Charger in an under-SuperCharged area or travel corridor in the US. (My town is well surrounded now, so they won't be local to me)
This is calculated to benefit traveling Tesla owners.

For myself, I simply would love to earn a visit to the GigaFactory!

I will continue to talk with potential Tesla owners. Give test drives/help in any way I can in the Delaware area. No strings attached.

edit: I am happy to see that the 'tone' of the referral program seems to be changing on 'what can I get' to 'how can I help'.

Last edited:
Various expiration of laws at the end of June are a twist I didn't remember. The new sales tax exemption law in Washington is one that will bite me when the time comes. I wish Tesla would open a store in Longview so I could at least get the lowest sales tax rate in the state. There are a lot of car dealers there for that reason. I wish they had based the sales tax exemption based on income like California did, or just gave relief for the first $35,000 value. I would easily qualify for the California income based exemption.

Sales may have been up in July, but how much of that was dealers dumping cars sitting on their lots? I know a lot of US car factories shut down from 2-6 weeks during the summer so they can retool for the introduction of new cars. Because Tesla has a more direct relationship with the customer and no dealers like other car makers, their sales are going to follow a different track from other car makers.

I am surprised there was no dramatic impact on sales of EVs and hybrids with the downturn in oil prices. I can understand the strength of Tesla sales because they aren't as driven by oil economics all that much. The car is so expensive the people buying are usually not directly hurt by gas price fluctuations like someone who is in the market for a $20,000 car might be. Tesla also had a pent up demand when oil prices went down that was based on the technology, emotional connection to the brand, and environmental concerns that go beyond short term oil prices. Of course a lot of other alternative vehicle buyers are also very environmentally conscious, but the less expensive brands of alternative vehicles have to rely on consumers who are not as environmentally driven, but more economically driven to adopt their cars.

It was economics that started the shift in the US away from big gas guzzlers and opened the door for Japanese cars to make a significant impact back in the 1970s. In the mid-70s, the average US car buyer was predisposed towards buying some Detroit iron except for a minority of counter culture people who went for things like Volkswagen Bugs. The high price of gas got people thinking about more economic cars and Japan had a range of decent cars that had much better gas mileage than what American car companies could offer. Once they started driving them, they realized the Japanese cars were, in many cases, better quality and that put Japanese cars in the US market to stay.

Without an economic incentive to spur people into thinking about something else, most US car buyers are not even going to consider an alternative. Especially an alternative which requires educating yourself on new ways of doing things. Most of the market for alternatives today are forward looking people who are willing to climb the education curve to do something different. I think once you make the effort to learn about the differences for an EV, there are a lot of advantages, especially for a daily commuter car.

Quick question, let's say you get 10 to order through the referral link and pay a deposit. Now, do you automatically get credit that you can use or you have to wait for all 10 referrals to get their cars? Because what if all 10 people cancel their deposit at the last second, and you quickly spend the 10k on accessories, how does Tesla get its money back? Am I missing something?

Bribing prospective buyers?

Yep. Maybe teach one how to use VisibleTesla and what it all means too. Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors referral link haha hmmm what else can I offer....I'll offer up some programming too. Want me to program something to control your car I can do it. lol I can show you roof rack too. NY/NJ/CT/DE/PA I'm your man lol

How about letting someone drag race my P85 at Atco Raceway?

And I'll bake you cookies.

Quick question, let's say you get 10 to order through the referral link and pay a deposit. Now, do you automatically get credit that you can use or you have to wait for all 10 referrals to get their cars? Because what if all 10 people cancel their deposit at the last second, and you quickly spend the 10k on accessories, how does Tesla get its money back? Am I missing something?

I believe the program states that your credit becomes available when their order is locked in and nonrefundable. (And why are you looking for a loophole?)

- - - Updated - - -

Bribing prospective buyers?

No :). True advocacy for electric vehicles. Helping people figure out what they want, why, etc. People are offering their time and what they've learned, to help the next person - and many without expectation of reward.

Which is the big reason for not announcing monthly sales data. Imagine what the Bears would be saying every first month of the quarter.

It is pretty clear that Tesla is gaming the deliveries to ship as much as possible before quarter end, which is why the first month of each new quarter is low.

If they switched to monthly reporting, I guess it would just even out more and we wouldn't see such dramatic drops - they would be gaming to deliver by month end vs quarter end.

Status
Not open for further replies.