Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, got another letter from Elon. Finding this one a bit distasteful. Not going to mass solicit everyone on my email list!

Wonderful. I thought I was special...

I got the same letter, and something tells me that it's the same thing that pops up when you click on the from Elon button on the latest iOS update.

Here's the From Elon button (it was red before I read it.)

20196441579_514db6b8e4_c.jpgFrom Elon button on latest release on iOS by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Here's the first page of referral letter.

20356834616_71ddfd0d0c_c.jpgFrom Elon button on latest release on iOS by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bjørn has reached 10 referrals. Now he just needs all of them to go through with the purchase. The deposits become non-refundable in 2 weeks, I believe.

Not sure exactly what happens if one of them drop out, but I assume Bjørn will need to get another referral before he can get a Model X. Anyone else to reach 10 referrals will have that same challenge, though.

The second letter is this:

If you have friends who might like to receive a $1,000 discount on a Model S, below is an email that you can edit if you choose and send to them.....

for a total of 1,139 words of promotional stuff. I'd never send a canned thing like that to anyone i know. It starts after your link with typical sales talk...

The first thing to mention is that you can buy a Tesla online, just like ordering a computer or a book. No need to go to a store. Moreover, if you lease it, the Model S comes with a happiness guarantee. If you don’t like the car for any reason, you can just give it back.

A survey of Tesla customers by Consumer Reports found that 98% expected that their next car purchase would also be a Tesla, much higher than for any other car. I feel the same way about my Tesla, which is why I'm recommending one for you.

Here is some background from Tesla about why you might want to buy a Model S:

Starting at $575/month after gas savings, the Model S is still a relatively expensive car, but here is what makes it worth the price:

Maximum Safety

more blah...blah...blah...

Wonderful. I thought I was special...

I got the same letter, and something tells me that it's the same thing that pops up when you click on the from Elon button on the latest iOS update.

I got the second Elon letter this afternoon as well. Maybe they're trying to boost interest in the program. If the results of the TMC poll I launched a week ago are anything like what Tesla's seeing then yeah, pushing out a second email on the eve of a weekend makes sense... they need to boost their conversion rate. As for whether I'm going to spam people I know, uh, no not going to happen. I figure the Referral Program was gonna be gamed illegitimately or Bjorned legitimately or both. :)

Looks like there is one Model X winner now...
2015-08-07_19-18-53.jpg

Exactly. Now I wonder if Bjorn is maxxed out on referrals, what happens if one of his 10 cancels. Does he still have a chance to backfill?
Do we know if only 10 can be claimed per owner? Since credits are only applied at payment, perhaps you can have any number of referrals, with only those consummated (but to a max of 10) counting.

If I was Bjorn, I'd get an extra 5 in my back pocket.

Just my opinion, but all of these details (Virginia, potential canceled referrals, also potential for someone tied at 10 to have their referrals "finalize" before the person who reached 10 first, etc.) confirm my original thoughts on the program. I like it less now than I did then. And if deliveries matter, what if one 10 referral gets their deliveries faster due to production situations, and the other 10 referral, who potentially had theirs first, misses out?

I suppose it's all free so whatever, but I can't help but see disgruntlage when it's all over. For US college football fans, it kind of reminds me of the BCS. Yeah, it might work out without complaint, but there will be a lot of finger crossing while waiting on the outcome.

Do we know if only 10 can be claimed per owner? Since credits are only applied at payment, perhaps you can have any number of referrals, with only those consummated (but to a max of 10) counting.

If I was Bjorn, I'd get an extra 5 in my back pocket.

He's not sure, and (SURPRISE!) Tesla hasn't communicated with him. Should he keep referring and get a few extras? Yes. Is he allowed to? Not sure. Tesla indicated you only get to use 10.

I feel like Tesla's corporate communications would make a good MBA case study. ​Here's an example of how not to do it.

....As for whether I'm going to spam people I know, uh, no not going to happen. I figure the Referral Program was gonna be gamed illegitimately or Bjorned legitimately or both. :)
I'm with you on this. My friends are worth an infinite amount more to me than a Tesla credit.

But there should be a way to have referrals without making folks feel a little slimey.

It seems to me the only way to do that is to make the purchaser the one that initiates the connection.

Maybe it is time for a small ad campaign: "Talk to an owner, get $2000 ( or$1000) off on a Tesla web order." They then can offer the code and advice without being pushy.

Just brainstorming, critique welcome.

Last edited:
Looks like you won't be able to accept more than 10 referrals - this is what Bjorn's link looks like now:

View attachment 89860

Doesn't seem very well thought out, does it? Why not let him or anyone else keep going? He gets credit for only ten, but has a few pocketed in case of cold feet or a buyer who can't get financing. Once he has ten confirmed in production (or delivered), then turn off the spigot.

Status
Not open for further replies.