Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. In fact people often seem to choose cars by looks alone, instead of safety, reliability, repairability, resale value and yes price point too
...or totally antiquated sentimental opinions of what "Ford" or "GM" or "Dodge" et al USED to represent.

NONE of the above show ANY resemblance to the corporations of the 50s-60s-70s.

Reactions: DrGriz
Mach-E has improved vastly over the past year - blended braking is now smooth compared to the janky mess it was in 2021, BlueCruise doesn't ping-pong anymore, DC charging curve now isn't a complete joke... (it used to drop to 9 kW after 80%). All these were pushed via OTAs.

Both Tesla and Ford have improved their EVs over the last year which I don't think is the case for cars like the ID.4.

Honestly after owning 4 Mach-Es and 3 Model Ys... they are pretty similar. I prefer the Mach-E in urban environments because of the 360 camera, rear cross traffic alerts, and front charge port. I don't think either of these EVs are good for the track. Too heavy, need to be lowered, need better suspension (except the MME GTPE).

You live in a warm weather environment though. The Mach-E is the absolute worst performer in cold weather of any BEV on the market...and this is not hyperbole.

They really need to improve the cold weather performance to be reasonably compared against a Model Y, at least in every market above the Mason-Dixon.

Reactions: Whatstreet
Tesla wins. Tesla Supercharging Network.
I'm buying my first EV and it's hard to ignore the stories about people in non-Teslas driving around and around looking for charging. The Mach-E would be my second choice today, but even the idea that it will gradually get better, or that superchargers will open up, doesn't give me much confidence. Sure, I'll charge at home. But I have some trips planned...

I also don't think Elon will open the superchargers as long as exclusivity is creating demand. I would expect Tesla to charge quite a bit to either the manufacturers or the drivers, to use their network. And right now, the fact that charging costs are increasing is really alarming.

I'm buying my first EV and it's hard to ignore the stories about people in non-Teslas driving around and around looking for charging. The Mach-E would be my second choice today, but even the idea that it will gradually get better, or that superchargers will open up, doesn't give me much confidence. Sure, I'll charge at home. But I have some trips planned...

I also don't think Elon will open the superchargers as long as exclusivity is creating demand. I would expect Tesla to charge quite a bit to either the manufacturers or the drivers, to use their network. And right now, the fact that charging costs are increasing is really alarming.
I believe someone has done a study on charging costs by state and region..I think. Here in the NW rates I have seen (on my Tesla app) show around 36 to 42 cents per kwh on Tesla Super chargers. Of course home charging in our area is 9 cents per. and most , 98% of our charging is done at home..

Tesla are in for billions of gov money in USA (and places in Europe / Australia) for chargers, they only get this if they open access

Reactions: Whatstreet
I think Tesla will receive incentives to open their network to CCS.

They will but governments are sloooooow. It's been a year since the Infrastructure bill has been signed and bidding for NEVI charger installations doesn't happen until 2023 and then permits need to be filed, etc.

By that time... Tesla will have built another 300 SC locations (that's the current rate over a year) without CCS connectors.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Tesla are in for billions of gov money in USA (and places in Europe / Australia) for chargers, they only get this if they open access
They would only have to open the sites paid for with the incentive money... Not the whole Supercharger network. (In Europe they haven't opened the key/heavily used sites.)

Last edited:
Reactions: john5520 and voxel
They will but governments are sloooooow. It's been a year since the Infrastructure bill has been signed and bidding for NEVI charger installations doesn't happen until 2023 and then permits need to be filed, etc.

By that time... Tesla will have built another 300 SC locations (that's the current rate over a year) without CCS connectors.
I wonder if V4 Superchargers will have CCS adapters built in. EA is putting in better chargers now and upgrading the crappy ones in the west coast. Still kind of a disaster though.

Reactions: DblOSmith
I think in the US it's going to be firmly Tesla's system and CCS. And given the fact that Tesla already released a CCS adapter and will offer a retrofit for the older model years, the ball is already rolling. I'm getting it to have more high-speed charging options on the road.

They would only have to open the sites paid for with the incentive money... Not the whole Supercharger network. (In Europe they haven't opened the key/heavily used sites.)
This is interesting. Hopefully for the sake of other EV drivers looking forward to access in key areas, they open up new sites in some of them. Or they may end up retrofitting a few.

Elon will open up the Supercharging network when the Government pays him to do it, and they are making those noises.
Until then, there's no rush.
Tesla will likely need to update to CCS plugs, which will take some work.
Tesla seems to have failed their lobbying effort to get their plugs made the standard.