Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Oh it’s coming. I can see it added in the data sharing section with an uncheckable box (if you have J turned on) as of 🔥🔥v12🔥🔥🔥
We can start comparing how much data it takes to upload our inner thoughts to Dojo every day.

If you think too much, you're inefficient and your update will be delayed. If your neurons just flash 🔥🔥🔥 or "J J J" all day then the computer can train quickly and you can stop thinking alltogether. Global maximum or global minimum, your software is done.

I did the reset then Power Off car and let it sleep. So far in 2 days I haven't had a wipe (sounds a little weird 🤪). But could be anecdotal and/or come back on my next drive.
Don't listen to this 🤡because he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.🤣

Must have wiped me nearly 10x this morning on the way to work.🤬 At least I have a shinny🍑.

I notice that 11.4.7 has some improvements in left turn, right turn, and early lane changing to follow route. Ex: turn to left most lane (not HOV lane) on multiple lane freeway ramp; turn closer to the curb on designated right turn lane. I disengaged and made reports at those places in the last 2 weeks. Am I lucky or the mothership watches my driving habits to feed new data?

Did the same 126mile drive I did a few weeks ago on 11.4.4 this morning.

That drive on 11.4.4 has zero disengagements, and the only intervention was bumping the speed up when the car passed at “45mph zone ends”. Bumped speed to 60, as 55 was the posted limit after that sign.

Same drive today on 11.4.7: one safety disengagement (trying to get into left turn lane while a truck with trailer was in that turn lane. Another disengagement, making a left, pickup truck in adjacent lane with PLENTY OF ROOM between my car and the truck, and the curb, car started overreacting to “avoid” the truck I’d assume, swerving around like an idiot. I took over just because of how awful the path planning was.

This was a pretty simple route, lots of rural 55mph roads, not a ton of turns or tricky maneuvers needed, but 11.4.4 did it fine with no stupid mistakes.

Oh, the wipers suck too.

So: When the M3 got the 11.4.7 update, I happened to be Out of Town. Got back this week and have had a few drives, including a relatively long, 50 mile one yesterday.

First and foremost: No life threatening behaviors under 11.4.7.

Second: I've seen all these reports about incessantly wiping wiper blades. Yesterday.. it did it twice. Once for three swipes, and once for one. That's it. On a relatively old 2018 M3. (The windshield was replaced in 2019 due to a fateful rock; that's still four years old.) Swiping for miles and miles and miles.. nope. Not at all.

So, the good:

On limited access highways, the car drives better. Notable behaviors:
  • When coming up on exit ramps, it consistently got into the right (or left, depending) most lane, somewhere between 0.8 miles and 1.0 miles before the ramp. That's an improvement over 11.4.4 which often waited until 0.4 miles before the ramp. This means not getting stuck, or at least, a lot less often.
  • Associated with the above: If FSD-b had moved into a passing lane, when it got within 1.5 to 2 miles of the exit, it would move out of the passing lane and into a travel lane, moving towards the lane for the exit. It used to do this before on 11.4.4, but it's firmer about doing so and less likely to leave it for the last minute.
  • Speaking of passing.. Just like in 11.4.4, the car moves into the left-ish lanes and passes slower cars, pretty much the same. The notable difference occurred after the passing. If there was a car coming up from the rear, FSD-b would move the car one lane to the right, even if that meant slowing down an mph or so. And then move back into the left lane. Much more like a human. On the various go-arounds on the last few days it hasn't had a chance to move into a right lane to pass, which it would do occasionally under 11.4.4 and earlier, so I'm not sure if the lack of such moves is programmed in or just hasn't had the right conditions, but there one is.
The one bad: Five travel lanes, two of which are going off to the right, with about 2 miles of warning, and Heavy Traffic on those two lanes. FSD-b was playing pass-the-other-cars and was hanging out in the left lanes. With about 0.8 miles to go, it tried to get into one of the right lanes, but traffic was too heavy. The solid white line came up and now it was feeling sad and confused. Took over and moved, human style, into an appropriately-sized gap.

Local roads: Despite all the screaming around these parts, no real difference. On this trip there was a fairly convoluted traffic circle, with two lanes entering at roughly half of the five or so entrances and exits. FSD-b kind of half-jerked its way into the correct lane, but was 'way too cautious getting into the actual traffic circle. Solution was to gas it; but, otherwise, didn't have to intervene.

Still a bit jerky on left and right turns, but was getting into the correct lanes by and large.

There's this one spot on my travels that has been a Problem for FSD-b, and that's an unprotected left turn onto an on-ramp. The lane that one is in is wide enough for two lanes and a bit; human drivers hug the yellow center lines, stop if needs be, and traffic behind one naturally slides somewhat to the right to pass over there. On versions of FSD-b before 11.4.4 the software would swing the car far to the right as left turn was approached, causing unsuspecting followers to be surprised and try and pass the car on the left, dangerous. On 11.4.4 this behavior got somewhat better, but the car was still swinging a bit to the right as the left was approached. On 11.4.7, on three tries, the car doesn't swing to the right (a good thing), but it doesn't hug the double-yellow, either, staying in the center of the very wide lane. Following traffic could try and squeeze through on the right, but the FSD-b has the car in the Wrong Place.

If there's no traffic, the car can make it through. If there is, I tend to intervene. Tesla will get this right sooner or later.

More fun: The symbols and such for autoparking are showing up a bit more often; the car actually parallel parked, no problem, a couple of days ago.

So, as usual: Some improvements in driving and a bit of a strange bug (the wipers) popping up, but not obnoxiously so.

Death and destruction as described by the Junk crowd: Absolutely not.

So: When the M3 got the 11.4.7 update, I happened to be Out of Town. Got back this week and have had a few drives, including a relatively long, 50 mile one yesterday.

First and foremost: No life threatening behaviors under 11.4.7.

Second: I've seen all these reports about incessantly wiping wiper blades. Yesterday.. it did it twice. Once for three swipes, and once for one. That's it. On a relatively old 2018 M3. (The windshield was replaced in 2019 due to a fateful rock; that's still four years old.) Swiping for miles and miles and miles.. nope. Not at all.

So, the good:

On limited access highways, the car drives better. Notable behaviors:
  • When coming up on exit ramps, it consistently got into the right (or left, depending) most lane, somewhere between 0.8 miles and 1.0 miles before the ramp. That's an improvement over 11.4.4 which often waited until 0.4 miles before the ramp. This means not getting stuck, or at least, a lot less often.
  • Associated with the above: If FSD-b had moved into a passing lane, when it got within 1.5 to 2 miles of the exit, it would move out of the passing lane and into a travel lane, moving towards the lane for the exit. It used to do this before on 11.4.4, but it's firmer about doing so and less likely to leave it for the last minute.
  • Speaking of passing.. Just like in 11.4.4, the car moves into the left-ish lanes and passes slower cars, pretty much the same. The notable difference occurred after the passing. If there was a car coming up from the rear, FSD-b would move the car one lane to the right, even if that meant slowing down an mph or so. And then move back into the left lane. Much more like a human. On the various go-arounds on the last few days it hasn't had a chance to move into a right lane to pass, which it would do occasionally under 11.4.4 and earlier, so I'm not sure if the lack of such moves is programmed in or just hasn't had the right conditions, but there one is.
The one bad: Five travel lanes, two of which are going off to the right, with about 2 miles of warning, and Heavy Traffic on those two lanes. FSD-b was playing pass-the-other-cars and was hanging out in the left lanes. With about 0.8 miles to go, it tried to get into one of the right lanes, but traffic was too heavy. The solid white line came up and now it was feeling sad and confused. Took over and moved, human style, into an appropriately-sized gap.

Local roads: Despite all the screaming around these parts, no real difference. On this trip there was a fairly convoluted traffic circle, with two lanes entering at roughly half of the five or so entrances and exits. FSD-b kind of half-jerked its way into the correct lane, but was 'way too cautious getting into the actual traffic circle. Solution was to gas it; but, otherwise, didn't have to intervene.

Still a bit jerky on left and right turns, but was getting into the correct lanes by and large.

There's this one spot on my travels that has been a Problem for FSD-b, and that's an unprotected left turn onto an on-ramp. The lane that one is in is wide enough for two lanes and a bit; human drivers hug the yellow center lines, stop if needs be, and traffic behind one naturally slides somewhat to the right to pass over there. On versions of FSD-b before 11.4.4 the software would swing the car far to the right as left turn was approached, causing unsuspecting followers to be surprised and try and pass the car on the left, dangerous. On 11.4.4 this behavior got somewhat better, but the car was still swinging a bit to the right as the left was approached. On 11.4.7, on three tries, the car doesn't swing to the right (a good thing), but it doesn't hug the double-yellow, either, staying in the center of the very wide lane. Following traffic could try and squeeze through on the right, but the FSD-b has the car in the Wrong Place.

If there's no traffic, the car can make it through. If there is, I tend to intervene. Tesla will get this right sooner or later.

More fun: The symbols and such for autoparking are showing up a bit more often; the car actually parallel parked, no problem, a couple of days ago.

So, as usual: Some improvements in driving and a bit of a strange bug (the wipers) popping up, but not obnoxiously so.

Just one question: How invested are you in $TSLA?

Just one question: How invested are you in $TSLA?
Of course he is... so am I, heavily... why do you think some of us are always
"the glass is half full"...
Up over 100% YTD... not bad for a Charlatan investment 👌
L3 or higher approval in the next 10 years will be a 20 to 30 X opportunity

10K turning into 200k to 300k in 10 years is a pretty good ROI

Starting with 100k or more.... even better!

Probably a safer investment then buying an X or S where you are guaranteed to lose $$ with every price cut

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that 2023.7.30 ( FSD 11.4.7) killed Autowipers? I do appreciate the improvement in white balance on the side cameras, but it drives just as badly as 11.4.4. Three interventions in about two miles of driving. Loosing Autowipers is a net loss for this build, and it calls into question what kind of regression testing Tesla uses before a software version release.

The Wall Street Journal did a “less than flattering” piece on Elon Musk today, related to Twitter. It offers insights into how he runs Tesla, I think. Also, this YouTube video from the Wall Street Journal on Tesla FSDb is now four weeks old, and may have already been discussed, but just in case people have not seen it, it is worth the five minutes of your life you lose by watching it.

Also…

K

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that 2023.7.30 ( FSD 11.4.7) killed Autowipers? I do appreciate the improvement in white balance on the side cameras, but it drives just as badly as 11.4.4. Three interventions in about two miles of driving. Loosing Autowipers is a net loss for this build, and it calls into question what kind of regression testing Tesla uses before a software version release.
I can't tell the difference between 11.4.4 and 11.4.7. Same problems at the same locations, as expected with a minor point release. Wipers are fine. My wipers have always been fine (knock on wood dashboard trim).

I think that the longer that an individual uses FSDb, the higher the level of frustration. I also think that as the FSDb user base expands, so does the variety of opinions. As is often noted, on the interwibble, negative opinions usually outweigh positive appraisals. So, the "junk" chorus grows and its reach exceeds the facts at hand.

The only people that really know whether FSDb is getting either better or worse work at Tesla. And I don't mean Dr. Impulso.

Also, this YouTube video from the Wall Street Journal on Tesla FSDb
Just to be clear: This was February 2021. And it was on the freeway. So this was not FSDb.

At least Tesla has tried to address some of these issues (it will readily beep about emergency vehicles now!, and it has cabin camera monitoring to an extent), though presumably it will still plow into things if given the opportunity in the exact right situation.

though presumably it will still plow into things if given the opportunity in the exact right situation.
The same drunk driver in most ice vehicles will definitely plow into things.
At least with Tesla you have a better than 0% chance of not hitting something.

How do you think @Ramphex is still alive 🤔 ??

Last edited: