Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my buddy with a P85D is one of the few with the 2018.7 a3159ea update. He was asking me how I like spotify instead of slacker, I was like wha???? ... Is this known and I am late to the game?

Yes we are in the U.S.

How did he like .5 which had Ap1 parity? That's the killer beta beta feature. Obviously he didn't care as he had AP1 and not 2 but that's what I care about.

I'm not convinced there are "so many issues". I personally saw some issues similar to those being mentioned last week before I was updated. So these complaints are not unique to this software version.

No doubt there are issues, and they are valid complaints/concerns. But it isn't like it is locking up cars in mass. The complaints here would be much more if that was the case.
I only did one test drive with 2018.6.1 yesterday and only on surface Streets so not much like others. It seemed to be about the same as 2018.2 of maybe a little better but hard to quantify since I think 2018.2 was fine. No problem with GPS or staying center in the lane. When approaching a stopped car at a stop light it was similar. It did feel like it was smoother at one point but of course I want it to be better. I can just say it was not worse. Looking forward to a major upgrade that shows a clear improvement.

As a precaution I decided to do a reboot of both screens and a complete power off/on after the upgrade since others seem to have problems.

My main screen is black every morning and requires a reboot. Hopefully a fix is sent soon so I don't wear those scroll buttons out lol.

I had that this morning but even worse: The reboot action didn't work. I sat there like an idiot with my thumbs on the scroll wheels and foot on the brake for a long time(multiple times) before just giving up and closing the door. When I came back, everything just came up.

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
I got this S and the update same day...Feb 23. Since then our gauge cluster screen cold boots most mornings, the center display gone black twice, the nav voice went into infinite stutter once, and the backup camera went black once. Good to hear that not all updates are this buggy.

One AWESOME improvement with the Software update 2018.6.1on our 2015 MS P85D is the Tesla iPhone v3.3.2 Charging "Unlock Charge Port" button FINALLY works correctly! Previously it would unlock for a split second making removing our HPWC charging cable impossible. Now when I hit the "Unlock Charge Port" button on my iPhone it unlocks and stays that way until I remove my HPWC plug. Previously the only way for me to "Unlock Charge Port" was using the key fob or the 17" main display.

Thanks Tesla for listening... and fixing this annoying bug! :D

So my buddy with a P85D is one of the few with the 2018.7 a3159ea update. He was asking me how I like spotify instead of slacker, I was like wha???? ... Is this known and I am late to the game?

Yes we are in the U.S.

All cars have Spotify, (yes US as well), however in the good old USA it's just not shown on the display, so you simply can't interact with it, but ti's there it's a feature toggle away from Tesla if they wanted too..

Just again to clear up misconceptions about "shadow mode" this excellent post shedding some light on how it seems to work.
Those were the days... Actual data from someone who could see what was going on. It's crazy to think that the only news we had between the totally broken "silky smooth" 17.26.76 and the redeeming 2017.42(?) was that which we got from @verygreen. I really wish Tesla gave us just a tad bit more info about what the heck is actually happening with updates. Oh well

I think there are some legitimate issues with heating a seat that nobody is sitting in. The seats only really heat properly with weight on them, which compresses the layers and brings the heating elements closer to the surface, otherwise the heat mostly stays inside the seat without warming the surface. I remember reading something about this somewhere... maybe an Elon tweet?

Interesting. That's too bad....my previous car was an Infiniti, and remote start heated the seats as well.

Reactions: _jal_
Interesting. That's too bad....my previous car was an Infiniti, and remote start heated the seats as well.
I heat the passenger seat up all the time before picking up my wife. And it is appreciated by her. Very complicated stuff though. Lots of figuring involved. It's basically impossible to do the same remotely, actually, but not quite rocket science.
tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: dennis_d and croman
I just got the 6.1 release a couple of days ago . Which was the longest I had to wait in the cue (was at 50.3 since December) finally got to take it on my “test roads” , my normal commute. For well mark Highway it was essentially the same as 50.3 which worked very well for me BUT I did notice on the instrument cluster the blu road lock lines bounce a bit more than before and it might be me but it looks like they tweaked up the distance of the radar tracking forward just a bit which would make the arc of the blue line bounce around a bit more. No additional car symbols other than the ones right in my lane on this one. The Ride in these roads was the same as before. Pretty solid and smoothly through 75 mph. Now on an multiple (6) flats s curved road where it would correct “just in time” turning into the turns it now goes over the line a bit some times where I have to disengage it . It also is “hesitating” (slowing down before entering the turns like a teenager ) like it did in 2017.40’s which was a bit surprising . It is not unusable just different so I’d call it an “adjustment” in my case slightly in the wrong direction. I’ll run it through this stretch for next several days and see if it changes or relearns if you don’t hear from me then It crossed the double yellow too many times or it got better and I’m not concerned

Reactions: boaterva
I'm not convinced there are "so many issues". I personally saw some issues similar to those being mentioned last week before I was updated. So these complaints are not unique to this software version.

No doubt there are issues, and they are valid complaints/concerns. But it isn't like it is locking up cars in mass. The complaints here would be much more if that was the case.

I'm convinced. My car went to *sugar* right after the update. Previous firmware had zero issues in my car. Keep in mind not every Tesla owner is on this forum reporting their issues so just because you don't see huge numbers of complaints on here doesn't mean its not that bad. When your power steering stops working temporarily, automatic emergency braking disables and your car won't boot up in the mornings don't come on here and complain since you're not convinced it has anything to do with this software.

Well, .10 could be a fix for some of the .6.1 issues. Won’t know until we see how wide the roll out is. It’s interesting that it (the only copy we have data on so far) went to an AP2.5 car with .6.1.

Edit: and now we have two of them on AP2.5 from 6.1.

Last edited:
I'm convinced. My car went to *sugar* right after the update. Previous firmware had zero issues in my car. Keep in mind not every Tesla owner is on this forum reporting their issues so just because you don't see huge numbers of complaints on here doesn't mean its not that bad. When your power steering stops working temporarily, automatic emergency braking disables and your car won't boot up in the mornings don't come on here and complain since you're not convinced it has anything to do with this software.

Great. All I said is mine did the same thing with 2018.2. So I’m not convinced that 2018.6 caused all the problems.