Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is actually a good idea. GM did a similar event a few years ago that let GM Employees to to give a referral code to anyone to allow them to get employee pricing on a vehicle.

That promotion pushed me over the edge to get a new car. The nice thing it was a no haggle thing. Bad thing was you had to find a dealer who would take it.

Since I used it on a newly introduce vehicle at the time (H3) finding a dealer willing to sell at invoice was a bit of work but well worth it. I hope this program is as successful.

I also think its a way for Tesla to drive up its sold numbers to meet Elon's quota by year end.

Doesn't this imply that sales are slow? If sales were at or above expectations, there would be no reason to do this.
+1 and I value my friendship more than the $1000, therefore I will honestly disclose the Tesla punctuality in product and service delivery, as well as my experience of those annoying deficiencies to make sure that my friends do not get disappointed later. If they are properly informed then it is all good.

I replied to the email I received:

I’m not so sure about this one. I show my car at car shows and other events. I’ve been to over fifty in the last 2+ years and I think over a thousand people have sat in the driver’s seat and received the cook’s tour. I know some have later purchased the car, and suspect quite a few others have also put a Model S in their driveway. However, giving a monetary reward reduces the impact of an owner's recommendation because the impression is now that they are recommending to get something, not because it’s a great car.

I’d much rather have at least one of the following:

1. Each tire display it’s pressure the way it is in other cars.

2. Not have to wait 20 minutes for 3G to connect after being in an “out of range” area. (broken in 6.2)

3. “Favourites” fixed for shuffle and repeat (It used to repeat, but that function was broken in 6.2).

4. The diagnostic screen display as read only.

Jerry

Considering Tesla has said many initial Model S owners "sold" 4-5 Model S, with some being responsible for "selling" 10+ this promotion makes a lot of sense. This sounds like a great way to raise brand awareness, and to increase the enthusiasm among owners. Many owners probably know 10+ people who can afford to buy a Model S or X, many of whom probably would do so after a "test drive" This will encourage many early adopters, including people who want the exclusive Founders series that will likely be worth $150,000+ to show their friends and family how awesome the Model S and Model X are.

There is no need for the people to "convince" anyone The Model S or Model X is a vehicle worth buying. The Model S basically sells itself. This is a win win for those who are very enthusiastic about showing the Model S to their friends and family, and are involved in the Tesla community.

This isn't advertising in the traditional sense, and Tesla isn't paying anyone to do anything. Tesla is simply encouraging and rewarding Tesla owners for something many already do, and is encouraging owners those who are simply owners, to become more involved in the Tesla community. Tesla is seeing demand for around 60,000 Model S annually without any discounts, advertising, or marketing gimmicks. This could have a very significant effect on Model S and Model X sales.

This is also encourages Tesla owners in states/countries where Tesla can't or doesn't currently offer Test drives to become "Tesla Ambassadors "of sorts, and let their friends and family exprience first hand the reason(s) they bought a Tesla.

Also, this is a temporary promotion that in my opinion is more about seeing how high demand can go, without any direct effort by Tesla to sell vehicles (aside from Test Drive events) prior to the Gigafactory being opened, to have a measure for how high Tesla should aim to make the initial output. (Maybe also to convince suppliers and investors to help speed things up?)

Also, who doesn't want a "golden ticket" to attend the grand opening of the Gigafactory? Anyone who receives the "golden ticket" will be a Tesla customer for life.

Last edited:
Doesn't this imply that sales are slow? If sales were at or above expectations, there would be no reason to do this.

That's one interpretation. Another (mine) is that with the X introduction imminent, there is a very real possibility that 2015 Q4 Model S sales could be cannibalized by people seeing the X and deciding to get in line for a 2016 delivery. That would make this a very positive proactive move to manage the business, before there is a problem.

Note that this incentive doesn't apply if you sell a Model X, only a Model S. It also ends Oct 31st, meaning placed orders that can be delivered before EOY. This also works in the states where Tesla cannot legally conduct sales activities.

Brilliant, imo.

I now have a dilemma to face. I'm a happy ambassador. Never been put in this spot before. Networking for work, I refer and get referred to companies for contract work all the time. Never any kick backs given or received. Just my reputation and theirs on the line. Keeps us all honest. Hmmm....
No dilemma, just pass the credit back (in kind or other means) to the person you referred. You did not benefit from your referral, only the buyer does, therefore no conflict. A true ambassador is not bias and will fully disclose all the known pros and cons to the referred to the best of his/her ability.

Before this turns into a chaotic "Here use my referral link!!", first come first served crazy house, why don't we come up with a civilized solution where everyone can win equitably.

Why not have an ordered list of current owners that new buyers can connect with to receive the mutual benefit with. Whenever a current owner gets connected with a new buyer and they get the credit, we can update the list and the next person get connect with the next buyer.

Sound fair?

I'd like to get a Mod in on this before this gets out of hand and people become frustrated.

No dilemma, just pass the credit back (in kind or other means) to the person you referred. You did not benefit from your referral, only the buyer does, therefore no conflict. A true ambassador is not bias and will fully disclose all the known pros and cons to the referred to the best of his/her ability.
Thanks. This and Bonnie's reasoning helps. I just can't say I won't benefit if I end up getting to order a founder series or get a free Model X. Being up front about it would go without saying and if I were to do it I'd certainly think passing along the credit somehow would help.

Before this turns into a chaotic "Here use my referral link!!", first come first served crazy house, why don't we come up with a civilized solution where everyone can win equitably.

Why not have an ordered list of current owners that new buyers can connect with to receive the mutual benefit with. Whenever a current owner gets connected with a new buyer and they get the credit, we can update the list and the next person get connect with the next buyer.

Sound fair?

I'd like to get a Mod in on this before this gets out of hand and people become frustrated.

While it sounds fair, it also may not jibe with Tesla's definition of playing fair on this ... they make clear that they can deny if some game playing is going on.

Sound fair?

I think a line up list like that would go against the spirit of it and might even get easily disqualified by Tesla by the rules they set out.

Thanks. This and Bonnie's reasoning helps. I just can't say I won't benefit if I end up getting to order a founder series or get a free Model X. Being up front about it would go without saying and if I were to do it I'd certainly think passing along the credit somehow would help.

Absolutely. I can't in good faith take the credit. So I'll just share the good fortune with the new lucky owner. Makes it even more fun to tell people about the car.

I replied to the email I received:

I’m not so sure about this one. I show my car at car shows and other events. I’ve been to over fifty in the last 2+ years and I think over a thousand people have sat in the driver’s seat and received the cook’s tour. I know some have later purchased the car, and suspect quite a few others have also put a Model S in their driveway. However, giving a monetary reward reduces the impact of an owner's recommendation because the impression is now that they are recommending to get something, not because it’s a great car.

I’d much rather have at least one of the following:

1. Each tire display it’s pressure the way it is in other cars.

2. Not have to wait 20 minutes for 3G to connect after being in an “out of range” area. (broken in 6.2)

3. “Favourites” fixed for shuffle and repeat (It used to repeat, but that function was broken in 6.2).

4. The diagnostic screen display as read only.

Jerry

+1. Fix the deficiencies and Tesla will have more referrals.

That's one interpretation. Another (mine) is that with the X introduction imminent, there is a very real possibility that 2015 Q4 Model S sales could be cannibalized by people seeing the X and deciding to get in line for a 2016 delivery.

Two totally different cars with different utilities. When people comparison shop, they compare SUVs with SUVs and sedans with sedans. No one compares SUVs with a different class such as a coupe. I doubt anyone planning to get a model X is going to be persuaded to get a model S over a $1000 in savings.

Two totally different cars with different utilities. When people comparison shop, they compare SUVs with SUVs and sedans with sedans. No one compares SUVs with a different class such as a coupe. I doubt anyone planning to get a model X is going to be persuaded to get a model S over a $1000 in savings.

Beg to differ. There are people on this forum trying to decide right now if they want an S or an X.

Sound fair?

Besides what others have said, this would end up being a huge headache for the moderators to administer, and just another pain point for TMC members to complain about -- to the moderators. So I see this as a lose-lose scenario. The only policy is no referral links on the site. No exceptions, no discussion. That's what I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.