Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. Just been seeing more of them and did my research and went to test drive. None of my friends or family have one.

Did your research include reading people's reports, etc.? I would go with whichever is most memorable to you, or just use the code that was PMd to you?

Did you attend any events in NJ that the NJEAA guys have done? @MPT is a member and a Tesla guy for that.

On a more interesting note, what are you ordering? Configuration, etc.

-sigh- Now that is totally twisting my words. I did not say I made out like a bandit because of the referral program, though it was part of a series of events. The way you say it is completely out of context. You completely leave out the part where I had $40k sitting in Tesla's bank account for four years, not earning interest, waiting on a Signature reservation. You also leave out the part where I was just appreciative that I got anything for evangelizing like so many of us have been doing for free for so many years. It was a total surprise to find out I'd gotten some referral credits. ONE referral credit would have gotten my gratitude. But then that doesn't fit the story line :).

Of course Tesla has been doing these programs as a way to boost sales. The unfortunate outcome of the first program was that a number of people did some things that a lot of us found uncomfortable - advertising, etc. A number of states also found it illegal, so some owners were not able to benefit from the program. The nice thing about this particular program is that it appears to provide more of a level playing field for everyone.

For the record, I didn't receive any discounts when purchasing my Roadster. Roadster owners paid a heck of a lot more than Model S owners for a lot less (but we're all still kind of giddy over what we got, so it's okay). In fact, most people here didn't receive a discount. So if you want 'fair', then NO discount is the most fair. I think what you mean to say is you want the best deal they've ever given, at any point in time. And we all want that.

Last edited:
I took the $3,500 Powerwall credit. I heard the installation cost is limited to $1,000. I also plan on buying a new Model S at the end of this year to use up my credits. You can use your credits for new tires. I am getting new Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires next week using some credits, the same one that came on my P85. I wonder if I have to take delivery by the end of the year to use my credits or just order it by then, anyone know for sure? Anyone know when the Gigafactory grand opening party is? Anyone know when the new sensors for autonomous driving with the 8 cameras are going start being put into new production vehicles?

Last edited:
-sigh- Now that is totally twisting my words. I did not say I made out like a bandit because of the referral program, though it was part of a series of events. The way you say it is completely out of context. You completely leave out the part where I had $40k sitting in Tesla's bank account for four years, not earning interest, waiting on a Signature reservation. You also leave out the part where I was just appreciative that I got anything for evangelizing like so many of us have been doing for free for so many years. It was a total surprise to find out I'd gotten some referral credits. ONE referral credit would have gotten my gratitude. But then that doesn't fit the story line :smile:.

Of course Tesla has been doing these programs as a way to boost sales. The unfortunate outcome of the first program was that a number of people did some things that a lot of us found uncomfortable - advertising, etc. A number of states also found it illegal, so some owners were not able to benefit from the program. The nice thing about this particular program is that it appears to provide more of a level playing field for everyone.

For the record, I didn't receive any discounts when purchasing my Roadster. Roadster owners paid a heck of a lot more than Model S owners for a lot less (but we're all still kind of giddy over what we got, so it's okay). In fact, most people here didn't receive a discount. So if you want 'fair', then NO discount is the most fair. I think what you mean to say is you want the best deal they've ever given, at any point in time. And we all want that.

Umm...I didn't think I was twisting your words...

By "making out like a bandit", I thought you were referring to how you got $1000 towards the purchase of a new Tesla for everyone who used your referral link.
And how - and I can't honestly even remember the exact details - but one had to be the first to get something like 10 of those in each geographic region. So that would have added up into the 10s of thousands.
And, how when you won, you were able to buy a deeply discounted Founders X, and presumably apply that referral money against that.
And finally, how that allowed you to sell your Sig #2 for a profit...(although, honestly, we could strike this from the record and you would still have made out like a bandit, but btw then you also have to strike from the record how you sacrificed the opportunity cost on that $40k for so many years)

None of that exists without the referral program. It's the keystone of that whole series of events.
Which is why when I saw you write that you "made out like a bandit", I took it to mean that even you had to admit that you got a deal that was disproportionate to the amount of skin you had in the game.

Really, that's the crux of what I'm trying to say. With the old system, the referrer had no real skin in the game. The $1000 reward for each person who used their link was way disproportionate to the effort put in.

Please understand, I'm not trying to question your authenticity. I'm sure your authenticity is part of why you were the one who won!
That's completely orthogonal to whether you made out like a bandit due to the referral program.

Also do I want the best deal ever on a model S? Heck yeah! Err, well, honestly I haven't decided if I'm going to buy one or not.
But generally all cars, when they are fresh and new, don't get discounted as much. But as time goes on, the wow factor fades, and they either load them up with
extra features in the final model years, or else offer larger discounts. This is reality. And the Model S is no exception.

To sum up again what I've been trying to say:
-they should give all the referral money to the buyer
-yes, they should just give us $2k, or at least stop pretending that it's any different than the latest President's Day sale that's going on over at the other dealerships

Umm...I didn't think I was twisting your words...

By "making out like a bandit", I thought you were referring to how you got $1000 towards the purchase of a new Tesla for everyone who used your referral link.
And how - and I can't honestly even remember the exact details - but one had to be the first to get something like 10 of those in each geographic region. So that would have added up into the 10s of thousands.
And, how when you won, you were able to buy a deeply discounted Founders X, and presumably apply that referral money against that.
And finally, how that allowed you to sell your Sig #2 for a profit...(although, honestly, we could strike this from the record and you would still have made out like a bandit, but btw then you also have to strike from the record how you sacrificed the opportunity cost on that $40k for so many years)

None of that exists without the referral program. It's the keystone of that whole series of events.
Which is why when I saw you write that you "made out like a bandit", I took it to mean that even you had to admit that you got a deal that was disproportionate to the amount of skin you had in the game.

Really, that's the crux of what I'm trying to say. With the old system, the referrer had no real skin in the game. The $1000 reward for each person who used their link was way disproportionate to the effort put in.

Please understand, I'm not trying to question your authenticity. I'm sure your authenticity is part of why you were the one who won!
That's completely orthogonal to whether you made out like a bandit due to the referral program.

Also do I want the best deal ever on a model S? Heck yeah! Err, well, honestly I haven't decided if I'm going to buy one or not.
But generally all cars, when they are fresh and new, don't get discounted as much. But as time goes on, the wow factor fades, and they either load them up with
extra features in the final model years, or else offer larger discounts. This is reality. And the Model S is no exception.

To sum up again what I've been trying to say:
-they should give all the referral money to the buyer
-yes, they should just give us $2k, or at least stop pretending that it's any different than the latest President's Day sale that's going on over at the other dealerships

Nope. I didn't win, I qualified for a discounted Founders like so many others. I didn't advertise or anything like that. I did what I've always done before during and after the incentive program. I wasn't able to apply the referral money to the purchase or anything like that. Look, I've sold a LOT of cars for Tesla. And I've never expected anything in return. And I've continued doing the same even though there is no longer the same types of incentives. My expectations are clearly different than yours.

When I used the phrase, it was part of being grateful for getting something, anything for doing what I was doing anyway. You chose to take it to mean that I was admitting I was rewarding disproportionately. And btw, I've already expressed that I'm happy about the current program that puts zero dollars into my pocket. And this evening spent some time on the phone, with a potential customer, because the local store asked if I'd mind doing so. Always happy to do that and reward has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Nope. I didn't win, I qualified for a discounted Founders like so many others. I didn't advertise or anything like that. I did what I've always done before during and after the incentive program. I wasn't able to apply the referral money to the purchase or anything like that. Look, I've sold a LOT of cars for Tesla. And I've never expected anything in return. And I've continued doing the same even though there is no longer the same types of incentives. My expectations are clearly different than yours.

When I used the phrase, it was part of being grateful for getting something, anything for doing what I was doing anyway. You chose to take it to mean that I was admitting I was rewarding disproportionately. And btw, I've already expressed that I'm happy about the current program that puts zero dollars into my pocket. And this evening spent some time on the phone, with a potential customer, because the local store asked if I'd mind doing so. Always happy to do that and reward has nothing to do with it.

Hmm...ok, so this is why I don't love posting on forums.
Bonnie, you have over 13 thousand posts. You're clearly better at coloring the discussion to your liking than I am.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say your expectations are clearly different than mine? (it's not clear to me!)
Are we talking about what we expect is good or bad about the current referral program (that's what I thought!)?
Are we talking about what one should expect (if anything) in return for helping Tesla sell cars (I never judged anyone's, including your intentions! And for the record, it sounds like we have the *same* expectations, because I think the referrer should get nothing! And if I bought a Tesla, that opinion wouldn't change if I was the referrer!!)?
Or was that comment somehow slanderous towards me?

I don't know anymore what you meant when you said you made out like a bandit. People usually don't use that phrase to express gratitude.
But I'm sorry if I misconstrued your meaning. I'll just drop that.

So...yeah, never judged your motives.
Did think you made out like a bandit (my words) on the last referral program.
Did think *every* referrer made out like a bandit on the last program, because I think in 99.999% of cases the effort expended per sale was not worth $1000.
Did think that was the biggest flaw of the previous program, because undoubtedly some people simply used whatever random referral link they could find, in which case there was no
connection between buyer and referrer and it completely undermined the spirit of the program, and that $1000 to the referrer was wasted in my opinion from Tesla's perspective.
Do regret using the word "fair" above. Notice I haven't used it since. It's probably not the best word for what I'm trying to say.
Would never expect kickbacks for referring a friend (or stranger) to buy a car.
Would absolutely have found a way to give that $1000 back to the friend, if I were in a referrer's position.
Do think Tesla should have just given the whole $2000 to the buyer, and I bet it would have resulted in more sales!
Do think if Tesla is gonna bring back the referral, they should just bring it back as $2000. This isn't greed. This is me actually wanting what's better for Tesla.
As a potential buyer, I know that we know the discount was once $2k. I had a friend who was gonna kick me back the $1000 for the same reason I would have (and I had a spare Virginia code just in case).
In my mind, yeah, $2k off is the best deal so far. And I'd certainly be willing to wait for an equivalent deal. This is why I think Tesla should just quit playing shell games and admit it's just a discount
and match what they did previously. I think it would actually end up selling more Teslas. That's where I'm coming from...which sounds like it's actually a similar place to where you're coming from.

I am about to confirm an order for a 90D. Can I still use a referral code to get the £800 credit? I seem to recall reading in the general Model S forum that the dealer can do it... xborg can I still use yours? If I click on your link it takes me to the design studio but I already placed an order for one... Also it does pop-up the message saying you have to take delivery before April 15th... impossible in the UK as earliest is Late may for 90Ds.....

Referral Program | Tesla Motors

It doesn't mention it on the website yet but, since there is no Home charging unit for the UK yet, it looks like they are still offering discount in the UK.
It looks like codes are only redeemable in the stores.
One person can refer max 3 people.
Referrer gets a chance to win a Model X P90D / SpaceX tour.

View attachment 111654

I noticed that with this round of the referral program, I cannot go on my smartphone and see the leader-board or make an email referral to my contacts. I realize that the limit is 3 and a leader-board doesn't matter in the case of it being a draw this time, but it is nice to see how many referrals have been made this early in the program. The early referrals are going to count in order for deliveries to be made by April 15th and get entered into the prize lottery. I guess the leader-board would help us get a feel for the odds.

PM sent :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just ordered a Model S a few weeks ago, I would love someone to give me a code!!!

Thanks

PM sent :)

You should be able to just give the DS the link and they should be able to link the code to your order. The code is the bit after the Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles.

(I would have PM'd this to you, but I'm limited to sending 1 PM per hour, presumably because I haven't posted much.)

Status
Not open for further replies.