Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was involved in developing some stuff that passed for AI in the first wave of investment in AI (early 80's. ) Then, the industry was loaded with jargon-spewing hucksters who were selling vaporware. The climate seems exactly the same now. Elon has been promising full self-driving by the end of the year every year, year after year after year, for about a decade. Replacing 300,000 lines of code (only a small part of which functioned well, because it was poorly written) with "end to end neural networks" has been presented as a panacea, and many people buy that, despite there being no evidence that doing so will fix things. The average Tesla customer may swallow Elon's claim that they are a software company more than a car company, but he has proven, year after year after year, that their software does not work.

"Full Self Driving" has a clear, widely accepted meaning. If you are selling "full self driving" and the car does not drive itself without intervention, then you are lying. The first Level 3 car in the US is a Mercedes. Tesla is at Level 2. Full self driving is Level 5. I know of one gullible family who thought that FSD would be a good thing for the new drivers in the family! They think it is a safety feature!!! Fools and their money.
I honestly cannot even believe--genuinely--that they have been allowed to keep lying for so many years.

This very moment (and I've done this exercise before) on tesla.com:

1718631324070.png

Other than the fact that a FSD car is still much, much, much less safe than a brand new driver who just got their license earlier this morning (and we all know it!), that feature set is outright lying about availability. Summon and smart summon, for example, are not enabled. They are not there. You can't get them. When you click through on the "feature details" the smart summon page gives no indication that it's not included.

So I don't understand how regulators can accept a very large company knowingly, over a long period of time, selling a product that they are not delivering.

Moreover that legalese about "features are dependent" I have read over a few times and I still have no idea what it's trying to say.

I honestly cannot even believe--genuinely--that they have been allowed to keep lying for so many years.

This very moment (and I've done this exercise before) on tesla.com:

View attachment 1057171

Other than the fact that a FSD car is still much, much, much less safe than a brand new driver who just got their license earlier this morning (and we all know it!), that feature set is outright lying about availability. Summon and smart summon, for example, are not enabled. They are not there. You can't get them. When you click through on the "feature details" the smart summon page gives no indication that it's not included.

So I don't understand how regulators can accept a very large company knowingly, over a long period of time, selling a product that they are not delivering.

Moreover that legalese about "features are dependent" I have read over a few times and I still have no idea what it's trying to say.
They obviously know where in the world they can get away with it as here in the UK (and Europe) they're a bit clearer about what is a future promise and what you get now.
1718631723480.png

It is discouraging. Tesla is "Lies are Us" in a way that no other Fortune 500 company is. Rain Sensing Wipers? A lie. 10000 lb ft Cybertruck torque? A huge lie. Full Self Driving? A lie. "Additional Savings" in lease payments and financing (from comparisons with a hypothetical ICE)? Lies.

Strangely, customers accept Tesla's behavior too. I would not be surprised if that changes as more and more alternative offerings make it to market.

They obviously know where in the world they can get away with it as here in the UK (and Europe) they're a bit clearer about what is a future promise and what you get now.
But only a bit clearer. There is still the glaringly obvious lie of "Full Self Driving Capability" which, to be truthful, would be called "Beta Prototype of a Possible Self-Driving System that has Never Gone Beyond Level 2 Capability." Granted, that's a little cumbersome to say. How about "Kluster Fucque" as a working marketing term? I like the Kluster aspect, because it suggests that when you engage KF, you put not just yourself, but all those around you, at risk.

Reactions: cwerdna
So Elon has publicly acknowledged that to have any hope of real self-driving, 10 times more computing power is required and 50 times better inferencing is required. The computer, at 800 watts should be capable of cooking your dinner with waste heat.

So Elon has publicly acknowledged that to have any hope of real self-driving, 10 times more computing power is required and 50 times better inferencing is required. The computer, at 800 watts should be capable of cooking your dinner with waste heat.
Yeah must admit I was surprised they plan to hugely increase the power draw of the FSD computer. At least with the Octavalve they’ll be able to use that excess heat in the winter.

You would also perhaps be surprised that after AI5 there will also be AI6, AI7 etc. each of these will be 'the best yet'.

Technology develops, Moore's law and all that.
The concern isn’t that technology developes and there’s always something better round the corner, the concern is whether HW3 will be capable of delivering FSD.

But Musk has said it will be and we know he’s never wrong.

The concern isn’t that technology developes and there’s always something better round the corner, the concern is whether HW3 will be capable of delivering FSD.

But Musk has said it will be and we know he’s never wrong.
I think it’s going to depend on what your view is of FSD and Tesla’s view. He’s not promised level 5, it’s just a Tesla term. I’d say the cars in the US driving around and now hands free also are pretty damn good. I don’t think if we had that in the UK you’d be unhappy with that capability. It’s not perfect but it does look to be very good and still improving on HW3.

Reactions: KennethS
You would also perhaps be surprised that after AI5 there will also be AI6, AI7 etc. each of these will be 'the best yet'.

Technology develops, Moore's law and all that.

Not at all and, if this had been on its own I would have just put it down to exactly that.

But in this instance, its just yet another, of many, nails in the HW3 FSD Coffin. As someone that has desperately tried to stay optimistic and positive throughout and still uses FSD on a daily basis with little or no issues on A roads and Motorways, i'm just losing more and more hope that we will get anything close to what was original promised.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Not at all and, if this had been on its own I would have just put it down to exactly that.

But in this instance, its just yet another, of many, nails in the HW3 FSD Coffin. As someone that has desperately tried to stay optimistic and positive throughout and still uses FSD on a daily basis with little or no issues on A roads and Motorways, i'm just losing more and more hope that we will get anything close to what was original promised.
Doesn't make sense, you expect that all hardware development should be stopped while the software is developed for your version of hardware because it should be the complete answer to everything forever? Thats not how technology works.

The fact that there will be future hardware iterations means nothing at all about the software. Also your car from 2021 isn't going to be the best ever Tesla make.

I think it’s going to depend on what your view is of FSD and Tesla’s view. He’s not promised level 5, it’s just a Tesla term. I’d say the cars in the US driving around and now hands free also are pretty damn good. I don’t think if we had that in the UK you’d be unhappy with that capability. It’s not perfect but it does look to be very good and still improving on HW3.
Musk in February 2019:
“We will be feature complete full self driving this year. The car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up, take you all the way to your destination without an intervention this year. I'm certain of that. That is not a question mark.”

I’d describe that as Level 5, and it’s only one of many disastrously wrong predictions that he’s made over the years. And he wasn’t just talking about the US market. And for all the hype about FSD in the US it’s still only Level 2 autonomy.

I was promised “autosteer on city streets” for my car by the end of 2019 and I still haven’t got it. That’s why I, and many others on this forum, have taken Tesla to court to seek a refund for their dishonesty over Fake Self Driving.

So yes, I’d still be very unhappy if I had Level 2 FSD that they have in the US, and I’ve been hoping for a whole lot more. It’s clear we’re not going to get it in this country for very many years, if ever. And definitely not with HW3.