Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you happy with AP 2.0/ Autosteer?

• Very happy

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • Somewhat Happy

Votes: 54 27.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • Somewhat Unhappy

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • Very unhappy...this thing is dangerous in its current form

Votes: 36 18.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find AP2 to be marginally useful and frankly dangerous at this point. Yes, I still use it to probe its limitations. In low speed traffic, I feel more comfortable with it, since even if I did crash it would only be damaged toys and not damaged humans. At high speeds, passengers complain about it and beg me not to use it.

Right now it is mainly a proof-of-concept or a toy for geeks. It's not reliable or safe enough for non-tech people to safely even test. No way I'd let my elderly parents engage it, would you?

I feel we are long overdue for an incremental update. I will gladly admit my mistake in judging Tesla if they come out with an AP2 that exceeds AP1 by June 2017, but we all know that isn't happening. Probably won't happen for at least 1 year and there is a chance it will never happen.

Too bad Tesla refuses to even acknowledge their mistake and communicate what is going on. We are left here on TMC to speculate and fight each other about it.

Your examples are leading me to believe there may be something with your particular car. As others have mentioned, I've certainly seen situations that it didn't handle perfectly, but nothing like what you're reporting(especially your comment earlier about it just failing to make turns at all). I've used it heavily with multiple different passengers and never had a complaint from any of them during freeway driving(local roads is a different story...).

Reactions: OBX John
AFAIK, slowing for corners is not a feature of TACC (only Autosteer in AP1).

TACC will keep to the speed you set unless the car in front of you slows down. You get to choose how sensitive it is before it slows down.

Or are you saying that it failed to slow when the car in front was slowing?

No, the car in front of me kinda got away from me, so my car started speeding up, I believe I was set to 75MPH
I've experienced the turn issues before, and was ready to adjust. No biggie and I realize slowing for curves is not expected currently. As someone stated earlier, the key seems to be understanding what AP2 can do currently and setting your expectations accordingly. Overall, TACC was really good for a fairly long trip.
I feel like 5 months into ownership I have gotten much better at knowing this car. It is a learning experience
And I'm loving it!

Reactions: J1mbo
My experience with autopilot 2 on 8.1 is 180 degrees different from yours. Where do you live and drive? I'm starting to think you have a defective Tesla because aside from your continual claims that your car is driving drunk (and crashing into your garage) you sound like a reasonable person. OR we have very different opinions on what "safe" vs "dangerous" means and what "drunk" or "toy for geeks" mean.

There could be something wrong with my car but I doubt it? Plenty of other people seem to share my experience. I commute between NorCal and SoCal so I get a lot of highway. The other day AP2 went bonkers on the 580E. I'm never really sure which curves it will follow and 1/10 it will totally miss.

Regardless, all turns it tends to veer towards the outer aspect of the lane. The majority it stays within the confine of the lane, but still not "centered" like I would be if driving. It's not always a problem, but cars behind me always change lanes, assuming I'm a poor driver. When I drive, I pride myself in staying perfectly centered in the lane. Not knowing when AP2 will misjudge something, and the constant left/right movement of the steering wheel is the worst part. Also, if a curve is coming up, it's not displayed on the instrument cluster until you are too close to smoothly begin turning. It's as if the camera needs to be looking farther down the road.

I do not have enough AP1 experience to comment on superiority in construction zones etc. of AP2. To me, AP2 drives worse than I would drive with a blindfold covering one eye and one hand tied behind my back. I guess that's the best way I can describe it. Maybe I'll get a dashcam to capture some footage.

I guess what worries me is that Elon has made a huge deal out of the fact that a Tesla will be able to drive coast to coast using just cameras. And yet, the AP2 cars using two front-facing cameras today can't keep the car between clearly marked lines on the highway. For those planning to sleep in their cars while making that coast-to-coast trip, might I suggest you get your affairs in order before you depart.

I just returned from a 2,000 mile trip from San Jose to Salt Lake City with AP 2. Went up via Reno on 80 and returned thru Las Vegas route. 1,800 miles of freeway with speeds between 65 and 80. Not once did I need to take control from autosteer. Not once. Many curves and many mountains. A couple hundred miles in rain and strong winds in the desert. About 300 miles in darkness. I felt very comfortable the entire trip. Autosteer and TACC both worked far better than I expected. My car is a S75D and is the best for this trip that I have taken about 50 times. Loving this car so far, 4,500 miles.

As someone who lives in Sacramento and just made the trip to Reno and back on latest firmware (and a number of times before this) on AP@ hardware... the only way this is true is if you are VERY selective as to when you engage autosteer or not. VERY selective. I have had my car long enough to know when and if Autosteer is going to do well and/or fail. There is NO way you rode even through Sacramento without disengagement much less up 80 to Reno. I'm fairly happy with autopilot on HW2 - for now - but its no where near good enough to make this entire trip without taking over.

I'm not happy as I really have to pay extra attention in any scenario except a straight highway without an overpass sign. Forget streets.
I'm still optimistic that they will eventually get there.

It's like housebreaking a puppy. Always have to pay attention so there isn't an accident and hope that one day they get it.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
If you look at the big picture AP is not significant and when it is ready for prime time our cars will get updates. Until then, if driver fatigue is really an issue consider taking a bus or hire a chauffeur.

Womderful idea. Refund what we were conned into paying for this "not significant"" feature and we can use the proceeds to hire that chauffeur.

Reactions: oktane
Here is my problem. I own two Tesla Model Ss' The first is a 2015 P85DL and the autosteer works pretty well. I purchased a P100DL with Ap2.0 and the autosteer is a bit frightening. I expected it to be at least as good as my 85... Any enlightened feedback?

Here is my problem. I own two Tesla Model Ss' The first is a 2015 P85DL and the autosteer works pretty well. I purchased a P100DL with Ap2.0 and the autosteer is a bit frightening. I expected it to be at least as good as my 85... Any enlightened feedback?
Yes - the search function is your friend. Aside from that - if you're real - I also own both versions - 2016 AP1 and 2017 AP2 - AP2 is within a hair's distance of AP1 and in some ways has surpassed it already. I disagree with your claim - feel free to discuss.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: NerdUno and EinSV
I'm sure AP2 will get there, but another 6-12 months.
It's funny sometimes to go back to the past - your 6-12 month prediction seemed reasonable - but it's only been 90 days and AP2 has improved so much since your post 17.17.4->17.17.26->the new naming convention extra silky. They're almost indistinguishable now. This bodes well for the future.

As for AP1 love - I think it has improved in the last 6 months personally - drives amazingly smooth - like a train on rails. See the article recently written.

There could be something wrong with my car but I doubt it? Plenty of other people seem to share my experience. I commute between NorCal and SoCal so I get a lot of highway. The other day AP2 went bonkers on the 580E. I'm never really sure which curves it will follow and 1/10 it will totally miss.

Regardless, all turns it tends to veer towards the outer aspect of the lane. The majority it stays within the confine of the lane, but still not "centered" like I would be if driving. It's not always a problem, but cars behind me always change lanes, assuming I'm a poor driver. When I drive, I pride myself in staying perfectly centered in the lane. Not knowing when AP2 will misjudge something, and the constant left/right movement of the steering wheel is the worst part. Also, if a curve is coming up, it's not displayed on the instrument cluster until you are too close to smoothly begin turning. It's as if the camera needs to be looking farther down the road.

I do not have enough AP1 experience to comment on superiority in construction zones etc. of AP2. To me, AP2 drives worse than I would drive with a blindfold covering one eye and one hand tied behind my back. I guess that's the best way I can describe it. Maybe I'll get a dashcam to capture some footage.
Checking back in with you @oktane - was reading through this thread again. We are now I think - three builds - past your post back on May 2. 17.17.4 and now "silky smooth" 1 and 2. How has your car improved/not-improved/worsened?

I guess what worries me is that Elon has made a huge deal out of the fact that a Tesla will be able to drive coast to coast using just cameras. And yet, the AP2 cars using two front-facing cameras today can't keep the car between clearly marked lines on the highway. For those planning to sleep in their cars while making that coast-to-coast trip, might I suggest you get your affairs in order before you depart.
Checking in with you @NerdUno - how have your impressions changed in the three builds since your May 2 post?

Checking in with you @NerdUno - how have your impressions changed in the three builds since your May 2 post?

We didn't receive any updates between 17.17.4 and 17.28.c528869. No noticeable improvement that we can observe. Much worse on some roads with false detection of objects and zig zagging between line markings. If there's silk in this release, we have yet to discover it.

We didn't receive any updates between 17.17.4 and 17.28.c528869. No noticeable improvement that we can observe. Much worse on some roads with false detection of objects and zig zagging between line markings. If there's silk in this release, we have yet to discover it.
On May 2 you were already on 17.17.4? For some reason I thought it wasn't released until May 6. Do you have any dash cam footage of the "zig zag"? We all have a different idea of what that means - dramatic turns back and forth across the lane - or slightly detectable hunting for center? And do you mean on interstate highways it behaves this badly or just local undivided roads?

If I stay out of the right hand lane, AP2 is much better. Otherwise, I must be prepared to steer back onto the freeway when it suddenly heads toward the off-ramp.

Do you mean the car will actually exit a Southern California freeway all by itself if you do not correct it???? You've tested this - you let it actually drive off the freeway onto the off-ramp to see if it will complete the exit? Or you mean it does that little momentary jog to the right then it goes back in the lane on its own? What build are you on?

On May 2 you were already on 17.17.4? For some reason I thought it wasn't released until May 6. Do you have any dash cam footage of the "zig zag"? We all have a different idea of what that means - dramatic turns back and forth across the lane - or slightly detectable hunting for center? And do you mean on interstate highways it behaves this badly or just local undivided roads?

Sorry. I didn't go back and check the dates against the releases. 17.17.4 was the first update that really showed progress for us. Now we're back in the "2 steps forward, 3 steps back" era. Zig zag means abrupt changes in direction of the vehicle without regard to surrounding cars. There's no "slightly detectable" to it. Overhead signs and tree limbs that have never been a problem now cause braking events, some minor and some dangerous. When passengers are screaming "turn it off," it's a pretty good hint that we're not making progress. Haven't heard that since about February or March. This behavior is on interstate highways around Charleston, SC. And, no, I don't have movie evidence, but I have lots of disgruntled passengers with first-hand knowledge.