Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These two statements don't add up. Saying you've only had a few episodes since September and then going on to say you had a few episodes yesterday suggests that you've had more than just a few episodes since September. Or are you suggesting it's been flawless up until yesterday?
it depends on the definition of few...... how many can we consider few? I would say about 10ish in over 2 months I'm not really counting as they do not happen often enough to me.
This confirms the fact that the perception is different from user to user

I can have 10ish on a single motorway journey. Tesla have been out to check my car. The engineer said his car was so bad he no longer users autopilot. He said, software broke it and it will take a software update to fix it.
I've got this from your other posts... I would be very upset if I had the same number of events.... However, it's only been 2 months for me who knows what the future holds? ;)

I've got this from your other posts... I would be very upset if I had the same number of events.... However, it's only been 2 months for me who knows what the future holds? ;)
The crazy thing is, 8-12 months ago my Autopilot was fine. I can only assume my older equipment can’t cope with the software they‘ve thrown at it. But even that doesn't make sense because the engineer arrived in a 2023 Model 3 and said his was un-usable.

Honestly, 12 months ago I would have felt safe sitting in the back of my car whilst it drove itself on the motorway. I’d be dead in 10 minutes if I did that now.

I fly aircraft for a living and I can fly from the UK to Europe with almost zero bings, no presses on a screen every few minutes to cancel something that I cancelled 3 minutes before. Distraction free. I’m left to concentrate on the important things.
I don't fly for a living, but have flown with autopilots, (and used to develop training for airline pilots) and agree that a real autopilot is far better than the Tesla's pretend autopilot. My Tesla is a 2024, just a couple months old, and it acts just like your car. Thanks for the great post!

The mechanical and basic electrics on my car seem to be OK, but virtually all of the software is just awful. It would be comically bad (the voice recognition and the wipers have had my wife and I in stitches many times) were it not for the fact that it causes distractions that interfere with driving safely.

Honestly, 12 months ago I would have felt safe sitting in the back of my car whilst it drove itself on the motorway. I’d be dead in 10 minutes if I did that now.
In a way, I wish I have had a time when I could feel comfortable with the car driving itself, but in my shorter ownership, I have never had an inkling that any of the automated features work well. So, from my perspective, the car is just awful in many respects, and I don't have memories of positive experiences to buoy my spirits. Mine tried to kill me on my second day of ownership, while using FSD as it started to serve into the path of an overtaking truck going 20 mph faster than I was.
People complaining about automated windshield wipers can simply use them manually. Push the little button everytime you desire a swipe. This is that way people were using them for the past Century.
Nonsense. Pushing a button to make the wipers wipe once slowly does not deliver the safer desired high speed in a downpour, when fractions of a second count to restore the ability to see out the windshield. And no, people have not been pushing a button to make the wipers wipe once for "the past Century". Every other car built in the last 50 years has ergonomically designed, reliable windshield wiper controls. Tesla does not.

Just turned autopilot on and immediately the wipers are going in this weather. 3 minutes later they are still wiping. Holy mother of God, who develops this sh1t. Neural learning my backside.
I was involved in developing some stuff that passed for AI in the first wave of investment in AI (early 80's. ) Then, the industry was loaded with jargon-spewing hucksters who were selling vaporware. The climate seems exactly the same now. Elon has been promising full self-driving by the end of the year every year, year after year after year, for about a decade. Replacing 300,000 lines of code (only a small part of which functioned well, because it was poorly written) with "end to end neural networks" has been presented as a panacea, and many people buy that, despite there being no evidence that doing so will fix things. The average Tesla customer may swallow Elon's claim that they are a software company more than a car company, but he has proven, year after year after year, that their software does not work.

"Full Self Driving" has a clear, widely accepted meaning. If you are selling "full self driving" and the car does not drive itself without intervention, then you are lying. The first Level 3 car in the US is a Mercedes. Tesla is at Level 2. Full self driving is Level 5. I know of one gullible family who thought that FSD would be a good thing for the new drivers in the family! They think it is a safety feature!!! Fools and their money.

I remember writing that post and the utter garbage that car became. The software was great initially.

That car is now sold and I’ve been driving a Highland LR for the past week and honestly so far it’s absolutely chalk and cheese. Autopilot works well and everything about the car is light years ahead. I’m a happy driver again.

The wipers however and still utter junk.

That car is now sold and I’ve been driving a Highland LR for the past week and honestly so far it’s absolutely chalk and cheese. Autopilot works well and everything about the car is light years ahead. I’m a happy driver again.
Awesome!

So do you figure the old car has a hardware problem that the service centers don't know how to measure?

Is the meaning of "chalk and cheese" here "night and day difference" from the old car? Looking it up, I was expecting a description of the new car akin to "smooth as silk."

A few of these threads are fueling (so to speak) my British slang translation table.

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
Awesome!

So do you figure the old car has a hardware problem that the service centers don't know how to measure?

Is the meaning of "chalk and cheese" here "night and day difference" from the old car? Looking it up, I was expecting a description of the new car akin to "smooth as silk."

A few of these threads are fueling (so to speak) my British slang translation table.

I'd say that has to be the case. I've thought for a long time its a camera alignment issue or the way the car has been put together because the amount of people saying "my car does this and that" is too many to ignore, yet I barely get any of those issues on my 2021 model 3.

So I often just consider myself lucky that I've got a car that was put together " just right"

I did a 150 mile journey to the peaks today, most of it on AP. Car behaved well. Auto overtake worked 100%. Wipers, well I’ve had worse!
It’s still a treat to have most of the work done for me.

What I did notice is that Teslas are really common these days. Must have seen 50+ on the way! Four years ago, I’d have been lucky to see a handful.

Awesome!

Yes the difference between the old and new car is huge.

No, I don’t think there was a hardware issue with the old car. I just think many of the software updates made things worse, not better. Autopilot fell off a cliff (got much worse) when Tesla announced the cameras were being updated to higher definition. Immediately after that update the autopilot performance was dreadful.